Information About Paul - Doncaster tutor - (6 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Paul:
GCSE English Language and Literature specialist tutoring pupils in Doncaster and Scunthorpe and nearby village areas. I also regularly tutor KS3 and KS5 (especially A-Level English Language).
** online tuition offered if needed **
** please ensure you have read the comments at the bottom regarding travel **
I've been teaching for the past 10 years; I am currently a Director of English and GCSE examiner.
In recent years my major successes have been:
- working as a Director across several schools to improve English GCSE results (all schools improved significantly, with one adding over 30% within a single year in 2018)
- taking one Doncaster secondary school's GCSE English results from bottom in the area to the top 6 (45% pass rate to 73% pass rate)
- taking another secondary school's A/A* percentage from 12% to 25% (including getting 30 out of 31 pupils an A/A* in my own high ability class)
- taking a third secondary school's C+ figure from 55% to 83%.
- many success stories when privately tutoring (a number of which are detailed below), often around the C/D and grade 4/5 borderline, but also with high-achieving pupils aiming for grades 8 and 9 with ambitions of prestigious university places
I am very comfortable with the requirements of all new exam specifications, including WJEC/Eduqas, AQA, Edexcel and OCR. In addition, I still regularly tutor pupils attending private schools who follow iGCSE/IB specifications. I have also been an examiner for one of the major UK exam boards, looking at both English Language and English Literature, for the past 8 years.
Recent tutoring experience
Summer 2018 (pupils sat a mixture of exam boards - Eduqas, AQA and Cambridge):
- one pupil who began with a grade 3/4 borderline achieved a grade 6
- another who began as a low grade 3 achieved a grade 5 and can now access his apprenticeship
- another pupil who came to me rather late struggling with exam technique and securing a grade 5 managed to get a grade 7 in English Language and a 6 in English Literature
- another late starter improved a full grade to a grade 5 in the last few weeks before the exam
- another arrived quite late as a low grade 4, but struggling with writing answers of enough length and with the correct style required, achieved a grade 5 in Language and 6 in Literature
- another who felt like he was struggling prior to year 11 mocks achieved a 6 in English Language
- one pupil improved from a grade 6 to achieving a grade 7 and a grade 9 (Lit/Lang) on the Edexcel course
- another began at a grade 2/3 and achieved grade 4 and 5 (Lang/Lit) on the Eduqas course
- another significantly improved their A-Level English Language marks (both AS resit and A2)
- an iGCSE Edexcel candidate achieved an A* after initially working at a B level
- another y10 pupil went from one of the lowest scores in his class in the first set of mock exams to achieving the highest mark in his class (Y10 Literature mock)
- another achieved grade 4 and 5 (Lang/Lit) on Eduqas
late 2016 to 2017:
- one college English GCSE resit candidate improved from D- to C for the November resit in 8 weeks.
- another English GCSE resit candidate improved from B to A within just a few weeks of the November exam
- a pupil with B grades on mocks (AQA iGCSE) scored A/A
- a C/D pupil (WJEC) scored B/B
- a D/E pupil (CIE iGCSE) scored C
- a pupil with C/B grades on mocks (AQA GCSE) scored B/A
- I had 3 pupils enter for GCSE exams in summer 2015 (a combination of WJEC and iGCSE boards)
- all 3 began with low mock exam scores (D/E/U)
- all 3 improved coursework scores from D/E to C+/B/A
- 2 came out with a B overall and the other with a high C
- 2 will now be able to access their apprenticeship of choice, whilst the third will attend the local sixth form college for A-Levels
My academic qualifications are as follows:
2.1, English Language, University of Leeds (2007)
PGC in English, Leeds Trinity, 2008
A-Levels in English Language, Maths, Media, ICT (all at grade A)
I am available to tutor pupils and students of all levels in and around the Scunthorpe and Doncaster areas, including surrounding villages, on weekday evenings or at weekends. If you are reasonably close to where I live (Doncaster, DN3 area) or where I work (various locations, depending on the day) then I usually tutor in the tutee's home. However, I am willing to tutor in my own home for those who live further away.
** In addition, depending on your location, there may be a small fuel/time surcharge to the price advertised - feel free to contact for further information. For those close to my location/work there will be no surcharge. **
By special arrangement I can also do 90 minute or 2 hour sessions. Contact me for more information.
- 10 years teaching (active)
- currently working as a Director of English across several schools
- head of department in 2 different schools
- examiner for a major UK exam board at GCSE level, both for English Language and Literature (8 years)
- tutor for 5 years
I insist on the highest of standards for myself and I try and instill that desire and belief into those I tutor. Everything I do takes account of the individual's needs established both before and during an initial session. My approach is friendly but professional - please view the comments people have left.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (evenings)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Leeds Trinity (2008) - QTS (PGCE) (✔ On File)
- University of Leeds (2007) - 2.1 English Language (College) (✔ On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||6|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|
Ryan achieved an 'A' and a 'B' in his GCSE English exams after initially getting C's in his Mock exams.
Paul is reliable, trustworthy and put Ryan at ease from day 1.
I would highly recommend him for anybody requiring English tuition.
Is it possible for me to find an alternative teacher as we are no longer able to use Paul?