About First Tutors
First Tutors was established in 2005 with the aim of helping people find great tutors in their local area. As the first service of our kind, we have won industry awards, been recommended by The Good Schools Guide and appear regularly in the educational, regional and national press. We are committed to making the tuition market more open and merit-based.
Why Use Us?
- Reassurance - We conduct ID and reference checks on all our tutors so you can choose them with confidence.
- Choice - We have many thousands of tutors nationwide, covering a wide variety of subjects. Whether you need to prepare for your Maths GCSE or brush up on your French, First Tutors can help you find a tutor for your subject and level.
- Feedback - Collectively our tutors have thousands of client reviews.
- Affordability - We ask for a one-off finder's fee of £4.99-24.99* and that's all! You only pay once you've used the members' area to discuss the necessary arrangements with your tutor and are happy to go ahead with tuition. Some agencies charge an additional £10 for every hour a tutor teaches, but with First Tutors there are no additional agency fees or hidden costs.
- Flexibility - There are no minimum or maximum limits on the number of hours you can book a tutor for. And our service can be accessed 24/7, whenever suits you.
- Accessibility - Our site is secure, functional and easy to navigate. We have a professional development team focused on delivering the highest quality user experience.
First Tutors vs a Typical Agency
First Tutors differs from conventional Tuition Agencies and it is important that you understand how:
- Browse and select your tutor yourself: there is no middle man.
- Contact your chosen tutors directly through our private forums to discuss your needs - no payment necessary.
- We don't perform DBS checks ourselves - this means you must ask to double-check any references/DBSs your tutor claims.
- We ask for a £4.99-24.99* finder's fee and that's all. We don't ask for a £4.99-24.99* fee on top of every hour a tutor teaches but equally we cannot fairly intervene if you are not happy with the tutor you have chosen because we do not manage the ongoing relationship. We do however collect feedback from all tutees regarding their tutor a couple of weeks after making an introduction for the benefit of other parents and tutees.
The cost difference between choosing your own tutor and using an agency:
|First Tutors||Typical Agency||Saving|
|Introduction||£4.99-24.99*||£0 - £20||~£5|
|10 hrs of tuition||£180**||£250||£70|
|Additional Agency fees (10 hrs)||£0||£50
* Our one-off fees are variable and linked to the tutor's price per hour to make our service as affordable as possible
** This is based on our tutors' average fee: £18 per hour (our tutors charge upwards of £9 per hour)