Information About James - Hemel Hempstead tutor - (5 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated James:
Cambridge Graduate at your service! I work with Science and Maths high-achievers who need guidance, support and coaching to challenge them to reach their highest academic potential!
If you would like to discuss your circumstances, and how I might be able to help you, please drop me a message through the FirstTutors platform.
In 2010, aged 16, I took my GCSEs and achieved 10 A/A* grades. In 2012, I took four A Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and achieved A*A*A*A*! I was extremely proud to be the highest achieving student in my year- my confidence skyrocketed and I'd go so far as to say my life has taken a different trajectory since!
Following my A levels, I moved to Cambridge to start a Bachelors Degree in Natural Sciences. I focused in the subject areas of Molecular Biology and Genetics and I graduated from Cambridge in 2015 with a 2.1!
Since graduating, I have worked full time as a private tutor for students sitting GCSE and A Level exams in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. I have taught lessons both in-person, and online. My personal highlight for 2017 has been helping a student achieve A*A*A*A* and get to Cambridge!
My goal with tuition is always to push your son or daughter to get an A or an A* (or equivalent). I don't believe in aiming for anything less! A and A* grades are absolutely achievable for any student who has the right tools, support and a genuine commitment to improving their grade.
My priority is always first to ensure that the student understands the theory behind a topic and then that the student is able to answers exam questions using their new understanding. If I am unable to answer a student's question, I make it clear that I am unsure and will investigate the question before the next lesson.
I encourage students to come to lessons with specific points they need help with! This is the most effective use of our time. I like to provide you with web-links and printed resources to follow up within your spare time.
"Can you travel to my home?"
- At present I can only offer lessons in person at my home, and online.
"Where are lessons conducted?"
- FirstTutors will give you my address if you agree to a tuition arrangement with me. This is a quiet environment with very few distractions, which typically suits most students. Online lessons are taught through Skype and the use of online-whiteboard technology. Online lessons are best for you if travel is inconvenient for you given your personal circumstances.
"What are our payment options?"
- Online lessons can be paid for by Paypal or Bank Transfer. Payment by cash is possible for in-person lessons. If you have not paid for lessons within a week, I will not book you in for further lessons.
"What if I have to cancel a lesson?"
I understand you may sometimes need to reschedule or cancel lessons. That said, I have a lot of students and cannot handle too many student's changing their plans! I keep a note of how frequently you do this and I will notify you if it becomes a problem (3rd short notice cancellation in a short period will likely incur a charge).
For same day non-medical cancellations and no-shows.
Not cool. Please don't do this :(. I prefer to work with reliable students, and therefore give first-choice for sessions to students who show up!
"What if I am late for a lesson?"
Lessons start and end promptly on the hour or at half past the hour. To be fair students after you, I can't run over our agreed lesson times.
Please get in touch if you have any questions, I would be excited to hear from you!
All the best.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Spanish
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Cambridge, UK (2015) - 2.1 BA Natural Sciences (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
- English International College (Abroad, Spain) (2012) - A*A*A*A* Bio, Chem, Maths, Phys (College) (✘ Not On File)
- English International College (Abroad, Spain) (2010) - 10 A/A* Inc. Maths, Chem, Phys (College) (✘ Not On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||5|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|