Information About Gary - Peckham tutor - (4 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Gary:
Gary offers a discount of 50% on their first / introductory lesson!
Philosophy / Critical Thinking
I have over 10 years experience teaching at some of the most prestigious schools and tutoring agencies in London. During this time I have helped hundreds of pupils realise their fullest potential, from those who struggled and so needed a boost in confidence, to the very brightest students who needed extra stimulus or to achieve the very highest grades. My manner is upbeat and patient, and I utilise a well-developed discursive and illustrative teaching approach designed to help students come to approach problems with confidence and rigour.
In addition to my teaching pursuits, my intellectual and cultural interests are very diverse- from writing, theatre, film and the arts generally, to cycling, hiking and travel. I hope to continue to be able to bring to bear my considerable teaching knowledge and expertise to a range of students, but also to utilise my wide range of interests and experiences to try and spark a broader interest in students, helping them to flourish beyond the prescribed syllabus.
I have over ten years teaching experience in the following subjects at the following levels:
Mathematics (primary, secondary, GCSE, iGCSE, IB, AS and A-level)
- Including one-on-one private tuition, as well as running teaching and exam preparation seminars at Barking Abbey School, Lillian Bayliss Tech and The Ravensbourne School
Philosophy (AS, A-level and undergraduate)
- Three years teaching experience, teaching tutorials and seminars to undergraduates (first to third years) at King's College London. I have been awarded a certificate for teaching excellence based on student nominations for each of my three years teaching.
- I have also been a university examiner at formative and summarative level.
Physics (GCSE, IB, AS- and A-level)
- Eight years teaching tutorials for three different prestigious tutoring agencies, as well as running teaching and exam preparation seminars at Barking Abbey School, Lillian Bayliss Tech and The Ravensbourne School
- My approach to teaching mathematics and physics is a discursive, interactive method. The aim is not merely to drill set methods into students, soon to be forgotten, but by guiding them through stimulating questions with intuitive, visual support tools, I aim to bring them to the point where they can approach mathematical problems in a logical and dextrous fashion, both in their examinations and beyond.
- My method in teaching Philosophy is again discursive, focusing on a Socratic method of questioning designed to get students to think independently and critically in their engagement with ideas; fostering a passion for the critical-thinking and discussion that they can carry into whatever field they go on to apply themselves.
Additional Languages: German
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University College London (2008) - Master of Arts in Philosophy (Awarded Distinction) (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Durham (2005) - Master of Mathematics, including Physics Modules (awarded First Class Degree with honours) (Masters) (✔ On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||4|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|