Information About Antonia - Verwood tutor - (16 reviews)
This is how 3 referees rated Antonia:
|Hourly Rate||Online Lessons|
I am a dedicated International Professional History Tutor working solely in this capacity. This allows me complete commitment and dedication to my students whom are working across all exam boards and History courses. I’ve tutored students online from Spain to Singapore. This ensures I have a very good understanding of all exam systems, how examiners mark and what they look for. Almost all the requests for help are derived from students being unable to translate what “develop your answer” written at the bottom of an essay means for them, or how to incorporate “judgement” into their work. Students know they need to add these to their work, but don’t know how. This is where I come in. Not only have my methods been applied very successfully to History, but many students have informed me that such techniques have helped their grades in other Arts subjects as well.
I am available for online tuition or on a 1-to-1 basis in my dedicated study.
I’ve been working as a professional tutor for seven years, so I’m well placed to know exactly what to do to improve your essay writing and source interpretation. I also possess a Masters in Education from the University of Southampton as well as my PGCE teaching qualification and my BA (Hons) from the 5 star rated Economic and Social History Department at the University of Leicester. Prior to tutoring I worked for 5 years as a classroom History Teacher where some of my A-Level students achieved an illusive 100 per cent on the modules I taught.
Recent Tutoring successes include:
2017 – a student who had a predicted grade of a ‘C’ achieved an ‘A*’ in History. He is now applying for Oxbridge.
2017 – another student had been achieving ‘C’s’ and ‘D’s’ in essays, she achieved an ‘A’ grade on Results Day.
2016 – a student who came to me with ‘D’ grade essays achieved 78/80 in the module we focused on.
As a classroom teacher two of my A2 students achieved 100% on my exam paper (AQA Germany 1871-1925 Alternative E course)
Please take time to read the reviews from current and former students who testify to the effectiveness of my tutoring methods.
I have excellent subject knowledge across all periods of history and have tutored:
• The Tudors – 1485 to 1603 (including Rebellion and Disorder)
• Puritanism and Catholicism in Stuart England
• The English Civil War
• 19th Century Britain
• The Industrial Revolution
• Post War Britain – 1945 to 2010
• Anglo-Saxon England and the Norman Conquest
• Witchcraft in England and Europe -1540 to 1640
• The Cold War – 1945 to 1991
• The French Revolution – 1779 to 1815
• France 1815 to 1890
• Germany 1871 to 1990
• The American West and Expansion 1800 to 1900
• Native Americans
• The Civil Rights Movement
• Tsarist Russia 1854-1954
• Communist Russia – 1917 to 1990
I appreciate that engaging a tutor is a difficult decision to make and many students are reluctant to make an ongoing commitment to a day and time. This is why my online approach works so well as it is entirely up to you how much or how little you use my services. As I work during the day, you have no need to commit to a specific slot for online tuition.
Students begin by emailing a recently completed essay, preferably in Word. I then finely mark and amend the essay, making comment on additional information which could have been introduced, and demonstrating how a specific point could have been developed further. Many students do not have a detailed enough conclusion and my method shows how your conclusion could have been developed further. This is not just the only document you’ll receive back. In addition, a detailed ‘Report’ is written on the essay – usually 3 to 4 typed pages long, which addresses exactly what you need to do to improve. Where I consider your essay could have been improved by greater subject knowledge, I will scan in and email relevant pages from my own text books to supplement your own knowledge. Once the report is complete, I will request payment to a nominated parental email account via PayPal. Upon payment, the report, amended essay and any additional documentation will be emailed, usually within the hour and often immediately.
Please note: any review of coursework typically can take up to 3 hours for a 9 page document and consequently a good-will deposit of £25 is required before the work is undertaken.
Benefits of online tutoring
1. The benefits to the student are that you have a tailor-made review of your own work with clear instructions how to improve. This is enhancing your own style, rather than using a model answer which leaves a student with the feeling, “I could never write like that.”
2. The report also explains how to approach essays more generally in future, how to deconstruct the question, how vital an introduction is, how to lead effectively from one paragraph to another and how to write an ‘A’ calibre conclusion.
3. These can be referred back to at any time by the student; you are not trying to recall to mind a verbal lesson from days or weeks ago.
4. There are no time slots for you to adhere to.
5. You don’t leave your own house.
6. Turnaround on an essay is typically 24 to 48 hours, but often less than that depending on how many essays or courseworks I have to review.
7. Payment is by a secure and trusted method (PayPal) so you are protected. I’ve never had any issues at all with this means of payment.
8. Much more can be achieved and covered in an hour online than face-to-face so the student is getting better value for money and often needs far less tutoring hours.
9. Online tutoring secures a 10 per cent discount from my usual £35 per hour fee.
I always reply to emails or calls within a few hours, so you always feel supported.
I am able to demonstrate how to deconstruct a set question, how to plan it and some key points to include, but I am a highly ethical tutor and will never write an essay for a student.
My availability for face-to-face tuition is more limited, but I have a dedicated study at the front of the house where we can work on an ongoing basis. At present (Feb 2018) I have an alternate Tuesday 7.30pm slot, or every Tuesday at 8.30pm as well as every Wednesday at 8.30pm. Parents are more than welcome to sit in on the lessons, or return after the hour. As lessons take place in the family home, I'm afraid there is no specific waiting area.
I look forward to hearing from you on any questions you may have. Remember, availability is not an issue!
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Southampton (2009) - Education (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Southampton (2005) - History (PGCE) (✔ On File)
- Teaching Council for England (2005) - QTS Status (QTS) (✔ On File)
- University of Leicester (1999) - Economic and Social History (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||16|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|
I'm so glad you're finding the online tuition helpful. I look forward to your next essay review.
Kind regards Antonia
That's marvellous and I'm so pleased that you've found the guidance and support with your coursework of help. Keep up the hard work! Thank you very much for the feedback.
From Sarah: One key way in which Antonia helped me develop my writing was via detailed deconstruction and personal feedback on essays and exam questions. This was especially helpful because of frustration regarding the marking of my schoolwork, which was often generalised and did not provide specific pointers on how to improve my work. Antonia’s emphasis on essay organisation, through creating brief but organised and comprehensive plans before writing, helped me develop my style and communicate more effectively.
I also valued my discussions with Antonia on managing my use and evaluation of sources alongside the development of my key argument in my coursework essay. Writing a longer piece of work seemed daunting, but Antonia’s encouragement to break it down into sections and focus on the essential argument, rather than devolving into narrative writing, was certainly useful.
All in all, a positive experience. Many thanks Antonia!
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback and your kind words. I'm delighted with Sarah's result and her enthusiasm which has been rekindled for the subject. The time and attention you've put into the review is much appreciated and will no doubt prove informative for prospect students. I wish you all every success and happiness in the future. Please do keep in touch!
I realise that it was not just about having the knowledge, but about essay technique and understanding the question.
At the start of the 6 th form I was predicted a C grade. I now have an A star and I am delighted.
I will be doing some revision seminars online in the future!
In looking for a tutor we initially chose Antonia because she was both local and had taught A level history in the past.
From the first sessions we knew we had made the right choice, our daughter had her confidence and her love of history back again. Antonia showed her how to develop her exam technique, to plan her answers, and to focus her knowledge effectively during the exam.
Today was A level results day, and our daughter has her A in history. The module she’d struggled with, she’d retaken and received 78/80.
Antonia’s tuition was invaluable, and those exam techniques she taught our daughter proved invaluable for her other subjects also.
Many thanks Antonia.
Many thanks for your feedback and do keep me posted on her studies.