Information About Anthony - Islington tutor - (3 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Anthony:
UNIVERSITY EXAM PERIOD OFFER: For £25 per essay (or £40 for two) I'll provide detailed feedback on university essays to help prepare for upcoming exams. Get in touch for more information.
Thank you for looking at my profile. I am a Durham graduate with BA (2016; First Class) and MA (2017; Distinction) degrees in English Literature. I pride myself on academic excellence, achieving an 'outstanding' grade in both undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations. My BA dissertation was awarded the Jubilee Prize for best dissertation in the department. I am now based in London to begin an AHRC-funded PhD at UCL. My research is on eighteenth-century women classicists and I am comfortable teaching classical civilisations as I am english literature.
I teach a wide variety of literature, but specialise in five key areas:
1) Classical Literature - Homer, Virgil, Ovid and Classical Drama. I also teach on the age of Augustus Caesar and on Athenian Democracy.
2) Early Modern - Shakespeare (all plays); Renaissance drama (John Webster, Thomas Middleton, William Wycherley and Ben Jonson); Metaphysical Poetry (Andrew Marvell and John Donne), and John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester.
3) Eighteenth Century - Alexander Pope and Eighteenth-Century Comedy (Goldsmith and Sheridan).
4) Victorian Literature - Charles Dickens, Henrik Ibsen, Thomas Hardy, Alfred Tennyson and Arthur Conan Doyle.
5) Post-War Literature - Ian McEwan, Jonathan Coe, Ted Hughes, Philip Larkin and Tony Harrison.
I have also worked on American Poets - such as Robert Lowell and Robert Frost - and achieved a strong mark in my Theory module, so offer tuition in theories such as Feminism, Post-Colonial studies, Queer Theory, Animal Studies, Postmodernism and on the Literary Canon and Value.
If a writer or topic you want/need to study is not covered in the list, do get in touch. Above is merely an indication of the range covered.
I have taught several students over the past few years, helping them reach their goals and achieve the grades they wanted. One previous student has gone on to study English at university, whilst another will be studying Landscape Architecture. I am easy to get on with and am very aware of the different skills needed to do well in English Literature and Classics.
I set an initial task, which gives an indication of the student's strengths and weaknesses. I make all my own resources and set weekly homework tasks that test/develop what has been covered in the lesson. Other tasks may be basic research tasks or answering detailed questions on a text.
I teach primarily by small, self-contained 'modules', which ends with an exam styled question. I have a commitment to marking all work so it is returned to the student at the next tutorial. These will be marked using mark schemes provided by the exam board.
I frequently consult the relevant exam board's website, using resources from the websites alongside my own so that the student is acutely aware of what is required of them and what will help them achieve their best in the exam/ on their coursework task.
Students are encouraged to bring coursework and we'll work through that together.
All mocks are free of charge, and full, written feedback is provided. Each written task is marked using a pro-forma, which allows me to detail my thoughts, criticism and methods to improve.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Durham University (2017) - Distinction in English Literary Studies (Masters) (✘ Not On File)
- Durham University (2016) - First Class Honours Degree in English Literature. (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- Colchester Sixth Form College (2013) - A Levels- A* in Psychology; A in English Literature and Medieval History, B in Classical Civilisations. Also a B in Biology (AS Level). (College) (✔ On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||3|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|
He has helped him understand composition and structure of different poems and why they are structured in certain ways
He is reliable and punctual