#MyFavouriteTeacher - First Tutors CompetitonOctober 5th, 2016 by Anna Michaelidou
We, at First Tutors, have all experienced and seen the impact a good teacher can have on a child's life and we're sure you have too. We all remember something a teacher once told us that still resonates strongly in our lives today, the comforting words they shared with us that reminded us we could achieve our goals, those tips they gave us that got us through some tough exams or the magical way they inspired us to love learning.
"They inspire you, they entertain you, and you end up learning a ton even when you don't know it?" - Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook)
That's why from today we are running a competition to find the best #MyFavouriteTeacher quote explaining who your favourite teacher was and why.
We want you to share your #MyFavouriteTeacher with us; a person that you think deserves a mention! And what better date to launch our competition on than World Teacher's Day!
World Teachers' Day is held annually on 5 October, and is a UNESCO initiative. A day devoted to appreciating, assessing, and improving the educators of the world. First Tutors would like to take this opportunity to remind us all how great teachers and tutors can be and how they really do influence the lives of children.
"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge?" - Albert Einstein
The competition will run from October 5th to November 2nd 2016 and the winner will be announced the week of 7th November.
The prize is a Kindle Fire worth £59.99.
To enter on Facebook simply share who #MyFavouriteTeacher is using #MyFavouriteTeacher and like our competition post. On Twitter and G+ follow us, and tweet who your favourite teacher is and why #MyFavouriteTeacher (Terms & Conditions are below).
In the meantime, I asked some of the First Tutors team to describe their favourite teacher and explain why they had chosen them...
1. My favourite teacher was Mrs Foreman - she was my primary school teacher and she was unbelievably kind and funny. She never shouted or told us we got things wrong. Instead she'd say - 'Never mind just try again. That's the important bit - always get up and try again' - I still think about that 40 years later and still use it when things go wrong.
- Anita Naik, Social Media Manager
2. "I would say my favourite teacher at school was my Geography teacher. He treated all of us like adults and had a great no-nonsense attitude. He didn't only teach us, but also gave us great career advice, encouraging us to do what we enjoyed and were passionate about."
- Grace, Customer Service Administrator
3. "My favourite teacher was the Head Of English and she believed that it was a combination of pupil effort and teaching quality which determined how well her students did and not just the ability of the individual child. She was passionate about the subject she taught, had good subject knowledge and made lots of preparation to make lessons enjoyable- no lesson was ever the same. She would always stay behind after lessons to help anyone who needed additional support. She genuinely wanted every student in her class to succeed and if that meant turning up on their doorstep if they did not attend a lesson, then she would do it!"
- Sarah, Customer Service Administrator
Now it's your turn #MyFavouriteTeacher...
Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
1. How to Enter
1.1. To enter the competition post your favourite book that encapsulates your best #MyFavouriteTeacher on Facebook or Twitter using #MyFavouriteTeacher
1.2. The winner will be announced the week of November 7th
2. When to Enter and Who can Enter
2.1. The Competition opens on 4th October, 2016 and closes 2nd November, 2016. Winners will be notified within a week of the closing date.
2.2. Entrants can enter at any point between these dates
2.3. The Competition is only open to UK residents over 21 years excluding employees and agents of First Tutors and anyone professionally connected with the administration of the competition.
3.1. The prize for winning the competition will be a Kindle Fire worth £59.99
3.2 The Prize is as stated and cannot be sold or exchanged for cash, goods or services.
4. Data Protection and Publicity
4.1. By entering you consent to your entry, surname and basic information about you being disclosed on First Tutors digital channels.
4.2. Any personal data relating to participants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation. By entering the Competition, you agree that First Tutors may contact you in relation to the Competition
4.3. The competition winner will be contacted by First Tutors. You must provide accurate contact details on notification.
4.4. First Tutors reserves the right to use name of the winners for publicity and in advertising, marketing or promotional material without additional compensation or prior notice to the winners. By entering the competition, all participants consent to such use of their name.
5. Competition Rules
5.1. The Competition will be run and Prizes will be awarded at First Tutors sole discretion.
5.2 First Tutors reserves the right to suspend or to refuse entry into the competition
5.3. We reserve the right to change the competition rules and these Terms and Conditions from time to time. If we do so, we will always have the most up to date terms and conditions on the website and in the case of a discrepancy between these terms and conditions and those on the website, the website terms and conditions will apply. Your continued use of the website will constitute your acceptance of the new rules and/or Terms and Conditions
6. Liability and Indemnities
6.1. Except in the case of death or personal injury arising from its negligence, or in respect of fraud, and so far as is permitted by law, First Tutors and its associated companies and agents and distributors exclude responsibility and all liabilities, whether direct or indirect, arising from:
6.1.1. Any postponement or cancellation of the Competition;
6.1.2. Any changes to, supply of or use of the Prize; and
6.1.3. Any act or default of any supplier, which are beyond First Tutors reasonable control.
6.2. First Tutor does not accept responsibility for any liability arising from technical incompatibility, problems relating to the internet, or technical difficulties of any kind
6.3. First Tutor shall not be liable, whether in tort, contract, misrepresentation or otherwise for loss of profits, loss of anticipated savings, loss of goods, loss of use, loss or corruption of data or information, or any special, indirect, consequential or pure economic loss, costs, damages, charges or expenses
6.4. You agree to indemnify First Tutors against all liabilities, claims and expenses that may arise from any breach of your agreement with First Tutors.
6.5. By entering this contest, you agree to a complete release of Facebook from all liability in connection with this competition.
7.1. The Competition and these Terms and Conditions are governed by English Law. England & Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions.