Help with essay writing
We receive hundreds of requests from students asking for help with essay writing because it is such an important aspect of many academic subjects.
An essay has been defined in a variety of ways. One definition is a "prose composition with a focused subject of discussion" or a "long, systematic discourse". In its broadest sense, an essay is a piece of writing, usually from an author's personal point of view. Essays can be literary criticism, learned arguments, observations of daily life or recollections and reflections of the author.
There are also several types of essays:
Narrative essays are written to tell about an event, always from the author's personal point of view.
Persuasive essays are written in an attempt to sway the reader's way of thinking.
A compare and contrast essay is used to show the similarities and differences between two or more ideas.
There are three necessary components to any essay which are:
- The conclusion.
Normally common essays contain five paragraphs. The introductory paragraph should give the reader an insight into the topic. Each paragraph should focus on a separate thought, and more paragraphs can be added as needed.
The conclusion is typically only one paragraph in length.
Below are a few points to remember when planning your essay:
- Analyse break into parts and describe or argue.
- Comment critically describe using current ideas.
- Compare/contrast examine for similarities and discuss any differences.
- Describe give details using example to illustrate.
- Discuss look at reasons for or against.
- Evaluate look at reasons for or against and draw conclusions.
- Explain give supported reasons for, interpret meaning of some phenomenon.
- Illustrate use examples and clarify meaning.
- Justify provide reasons for a decision, a viewpoint.
If you find essay writing difficult, why not consider finding a private tutor. Most English tutors have vast experience in essay writing and can provide specific techniques to help you master the art of essay writing.