Common entrance exams: Maths - Test yourself!
Entrance exams, 11 +, 13 exams...now is the time to start warming your children to practise tests for their next step into BIG school!
In preparation for common entrance exams and by courtesy of Galore Park Mathematics revision guides for the ISEB board, we will be regularly posting tests for your children to practise. We invite you to post your comments with your answers!
Remember that you should be familiar with all of the material in the National Curriculum.
You should also now be able to do the following:
- Understand fully the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) and the associated language.
- Use a range of mental methods of computation with the four operations when solving number problems (including mental recall of multiplication facts up to 10 x 10 and quick derivation of corresponding division facts)
- Check the reasonableness by your results by reference to your knowledge of the context or to the size of the numbers.
- Interpret calculator displays.
- Use efficient written methods of addition and subtraction and of short multiplication and division (including division and subtraction of decimals to two places, and ordering decimals to three places)
- Use all four with decimals to two places (where multiplication and division are always by a integer less than 10, and rounding to the nearest integer.
- Use and understand an appropriate non-calculator method for multiplying and three-digit number by any two-digit number.
Before moving on to the next chapter, make sure you can answer the following questions:
Brian has multiplied 197 x 15 and has written the answer incorrectly as 1182 (courtesy of Galore Park for the ISEB board)
- Suggest at least two reasons why Brian should realise straight away that his answer is incorrect.
- What should the answer be?
- Suggest what error Brian made.
Calculate the square of 19 (courtesy of Galore Park for the ISEB board)
Which number between 240 and 250 divides exactly by 7? (Courtesy of Galore Park for the ISEB board)