Information About Gary - Norwich teacher - (13 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Gary:
Hi! I'm Gary. I have an MPhil degree, I've published three novels, as well as many other books, and I draw a cartoon strip for the Spectator magazine. My published books include:
· 102 Ways to Write a Novel (Old St, 2012) A guide to novel writing. 'Dexter's gift is … actually to shed light on the mysteries of literary creation' (The Guardian)
· Why Not Catch-21? (Frances Lincoln, 2007; paperback 2008). A best-selling exploration of the derivation of book titles. Nicholas Lezards Paperback Choice of the Week in the Guardian.
· The Oxford Despoiler (Old St, 2009; paperback 2009). A Victorian detective mystery. Grossly entertaining Observer.
· Poisoned Pens (Frances Lincoln, 2009; paperback 2010). An anthology of splenetic writers. Always compelling - Sunday Tribune.
· 102 Free Things to Do (Frances Lincoln, 2009). A self-help book listing free activities anyone can take part in. Many other works in this series, including 102 English Things to Do, 102 Ways to Improve your Partner, Things to Do at Night, 102 Things to Do in Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter, etc.
· All the Materials for a Midnight Feast (Old St, July 2011). A novel about the peace movement of the 1980s. A beautifully crafted work of fiction Sunday Telegraph.
· Natural Desire in Healthy Women (Old St, 2014). A novel about the contraceptive rights movement of the 1920s. Deft and very funny Daily Mail.
Selected work as a national columnist
Title Stories Weekly cartoon strip in the Spectator. Ongoing.
Title Deed Weekly column in the Sunday Telegraph, 2005-2011, running to over 300 issues: an exploration of the derivation of book titles.
Alternative Reading Fortnightly column in the Spectator magazine 2005-2010, exploring the unknown writing careers of famous authors.
Writers on Writers Weekly column in the Guardian, 2005-2008: a compilation of backbiting quotes about writers, by fellow writers.
Famous but Nameless Weekly column in The Times from 2003-2004, exploring the lives of unknown well-known people.
Editing and publishing highlights
· Chief editor of the 2003 edition of the Chambers Concise Biographical Dictionary
· Major contributor to the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary (1999)
· Many other works of EFL reference as editor and contributor, including The Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms, The Oxford Elementary Learners Dictionary, The Oxford Guide to British and American Culture, and others
I have worked teaching English in Turkey, Oxford, London and Norwich, both in a classroom setting and one-to-one. I have been involved in English language and literature throughout my career, and have written as a national columnist for the Guardian, The Times, the Sunday Telegraph and the Spectator. I have taught creative writing for Norfolk Adult Education for four years, as well as giving lessons one-to-one.
Firat University, Elazig, Turkey: Jan-Sep 1989
Kings St School, 47 Shepherd's Bush Green, London W12: Nov 1989-Sep 1990
Oxford County Council, tutor pool: Jan 1991-Nov 1992
Volunteer teacher, Charing X Centre, St John Maddermarket, Norwich, May-Aug 2006
The English Experience School of English, Upper St Giles, Norwich (intensive English training in Hethersett and at the Norwich school: guided a party of 50 children to Oxford), Jun-Aug 2007
Teacher of Creative Writing, Norwich Adult Education, June 2008-Jan 2013
I enjoy teaching, and I know that everyone learns in a different way. I hope that I am always patient and encouraging. Personal rapport is of the greatest importance, and learning can't take place if the learner feels forced or doesn't feel able to ask questions. In the best case, learning should always be enjoyable and fun. Learners must feel that they have something to contribute to the subject and that their insights are valuable.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Japanese
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Stirling University (1988) - Modern Poetry (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Bournemouth EFL College (1988) - RSA TEFL Certificate (Professional) (✔ On File)
|Total Amount Of Feedback:||13|
|Total Positive Feedback:|
I'm sorry that you feel I am not willing to share all of my knowledge. I think this is because I said I would give you another recommendation for a book but that it would be better to discuss the first two I'd given you before we go onto the third one, which is much more technical. Certainly while I was advising you I feel I never held back on the knowledge that I personally have, and I wanted to help you as much as possible.
Best of luck with your writing.
Thanks for all your help!
Thank you Gary !
We think that Gary has been such a good tutor that we won't need his help again - but would recommend him without reservation!
I hope to return to lessons soon!