Information About Yen-Min - Thatcham teacher - (2 reviews)
This is how 3 referees rated Yen-Min:
I am an experienced teacher with QTS. As a Mandarin Teacher, I share teaching and learning resources with my colleagues in the Mandarin and other departments.
My students come from various cultural and language backgrounds. They share the common goal of learning to communicate in Chinese Mandarin effectively-- some for GCSE, A-level exams; some for employment; some for interests in Chinese culture and language. Most of the students have never learned Chinese before, and a few start from intermediate and advanced level. No matter your motive for learning Chinese or the level of your Chinese, I will try my best to help you make good progress and enjoy learning the language.
Education & Qualifications
2010-2011 QTS (Outstanding), Modern Foreign Languages, GTP, Stockton Council, UK
2010-2011 PGCE, Education (Pass), Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
2007-2008 MEd, Psychology of Education (Pass), University of Bristol, UK
2000-2004 B.A. English Language Teaching (First Class), National Chiayi University, Taiwan
1996-1999 Senior High School Certificate (8 GCSEs A*-C)
National Tainan Chia-Chi Girl's Senior High School, Taiwan
- Taught KS3 and KS4 pupils Mandarin and prepared Y11-13 pupils for GCSE and A-level mock exams at The Royal High School, Bath. All the pupils got A or A* for their mock exams in February 2013.
- Prepared pupils for Entry Level Certificate Chinese at Beechen Cliff School in 2011/2012. All the pupils gained level 3 marks (highest in ELC Chinese).
- Prepared private candidates for GCSE Chinese in 2011/2012. One Y10 pupil got A* for her GCSE Chinese, and the other adult pupil who has learnt Mandarin with me for 1.5 years got B for his GCSE Chinese.
- Interviewed by BBC during Chinese New Year in 2010 with Y8 pupils at Manor College of Technology
- Employed a broad range of instructional techniques to retain student interest and maximize individual learning within a group environment
-Evaluated and communicated student progress and liaised with other professionals to discuss individual student needs
-Prepared and implemented remedial programs for students requiring extra help
-Maintained up-to-date subject knowledge and researched new resources and teaching methods
-Organised and supervised extracurricular activities
09/16 – present Teacher in charge of Mandarin, St Helen and St Katharine, Abingdon
• Developing the Mandarin curriculum (KS2-KS5) and teaching KS2, KS3 and KS5 Mandarin
• Developing formal assessment strategies, appropriate schemes of work and examination entries
11/18-present Principal Examiner (part-time), Cambridge International Examinations, UK
• Conducting STM meetings, supervising the work, monitoring the standards and reporting on the work of the Assistant Examiners and Team Leaders
09/11- present Mandarin tutor (self-employed), England
• Preparing learners for GCSE Chinese and A Level exams and developing their language skills.
03/13 – 01/16 Assistant examiner (part-time), Cambridge International Examinations and Edexcel, UK
• Marking IGCSE and GCSE Chinese papers and attending exam board meetings.
02/16 – 06/16 Teacher of Mandarin (part-time), Cambridge Tutors College, London
• Preparing sixth form students for AS and A2 Chinese exams.
09/15 – 08/16 EAL Coordinator/Mandarin teacher(full-time), St Joseph’s College, London
• Teaching KS3 and KS4 Mandarin and English (ESOL)
• Identifying EAL pupils throughout the school and tracking and recording students’ progress.
• Organising and supervising Community Languages GCSE exams.
• Implementing school behaviour policies in class and collaborating with parents to enhance learning.
09/14 – 08/15 Language tutor (part-time), University of Bristol, Bristol
• Teaching undergraduates Mandarin(Ab-initio course) and assessing students’ progress and learning.
04/13 – 08/15 Interpreter (part-time; Mandarin), The Big Word, Bristol and Gloucestershire
• Providing face-to-face and **Contact Detail Removed**phone interpreting services to NHS, Home Office and HMRC.
09/13 – 02/14 Mandarin teacher (full-time), Cardinal Wiseman Catholic School and Language College, Coventry
• Teaching KS3 and KS4 Mandarin for GCSE Chinese and designing KS3 & KS4 Schemes of Work.
03/13 –07/13 Supply teacher (part-time), Hays, Reed and Monarch Education, Bristol
• Covering lessons at comprehensive and independent schools in Bristol and Coventry.
11/12-03/13 Mandarin teacher (part-time; 0.95 fte; maternity cover), The Royal High School, Bath
• Teaching KS2, KS3, KS4 and KS5 Mandarin for GCSE and A Level exams.
• Liaising with colleagues and parents to raise achievement.
04/12-11/12 Teaching fellow (part-time; 0.6 fte; maternity cover), University of Bath, Bath
• Teaching undergraduates and postgraduates Mandarin (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced).
09/11- 08/12 Mandarin teacher (part-time; 0.1 fte), Beechen Cliff School, Bath
• Teaching Y10s and Y11s Mandarin for Entry Level Certificate and preparing a G&T Y9 pupil for AS Chinese exam.
• Conducting GCSE Chinese controlled assessments for private candidates in B****Contact Detail Removed**phone Number Removed** GTP trainee (full-time), Ian Ramsey Church of England Academy/Stockton-on-Tees Council
• Designing KS3 & KS4 Schemes of Work and teaching KS3 and KS4 Mandarin.
• Working with the Year 10 team to give the tutees support and guidance through tutor time and PSHE lessons.
01/11-02/11 GTP trainee (full-time), Grangefield Academy/Stockton-on-Tees Council
• Applying a variety of teaching strategies while running Mandarin club.
• Creating teaching and learning resources for the whole school tutor activities during Chinese New Year we****Contact Detail Removed**phone Number Removed** Teacher of Mandarin (full-time), Manor College of Technology & High Tunstall College of Science, Hartlepool
• Teaching KS3 Mandarin, marking pupils’ work and assessing pupils’ progress.
• Collaborating with a Y9 tutor and providing the tutor group with support and guidance.
• Teaching two Y7 classes at its partner school, High Tunstall College of Science.
10/08-08/09 Teacher of Mandarin (part-time), Quintin Kynaston Community Academy, Trinity Catholic High School and Alexandra Park School, London
• Providing pupils the opportunities of experiencing different cultures by teaching them Chinese culture and language at Mandarin club.
• Responsible for A Level Mandarin Chinese intensive course for EAL pupils from China and conducting A level Chinese speaking exams.
04/09-06/09 Teaching assistant (voluntary), St Peter’s Church of England Primary School, London
• Supporting KS1 and KS2 pupils in class and teaching a Year 6 student literacy and numeracy.
09/08-08/09 Marketing executive (part-time), Golders Green College, London
• Establishing contacts with education agencies in China and South Korea.
• Making arrangement for overseas students to gain places at British universities.
04/08-07/09 Teacher of Mandarin (part-time), London Overseas Chinese School, London
• Teaching KS1 and KS2 Mandarin and organising cultural and festive events.
03/05-08/07 Head of English (full-time), Peter Pan Cram School, Chiayi, Taiwan
• Teaching KS1-KS5 English, producing new learning materials and in charge of the curriculum design.
07/04-02/05 Intern teacher (full-time), Hsing-Jhong Elementary School, Chiayi, Taiwan
• Teaching Y1s English, Mandarin, Maths, Music, Arts and Life skills.
- Use authentic teaching materials (e.g. Chinese GCSE, Jinbu, storybooks, songs and online resources) to motiva**Contact Detail Removed**arners.
- Provide reading materials and support students in practicing leveled texts (reading, listening, speaking and writing).
- Encourage students to use Mandarin in daily life.
- Use formative and summative assessments in class to know students' levels.
- Guide students to talk about their experiences in Mandarin using real objects and word/picture clues.
- Help students practice Chinese character writing and Pinyin.
- Ask students to re-read familiar texts for speed, accuracy, and expression.
- Teach high frequency words (vocabulary/phrases) and include the words in exercise and conversations.
- Set goals with success criteria for learners' development and work.
- Personalise lessons based on students' learning background.
- Design topic-based lessons to suit students' needs.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Chinese, English (British)
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (evenings)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Stockton-on-Tees Council (2011) - QTS (QTS) (✔ On File)
- University of Bristol, UK (2008) - MEd (Masters) (✔ On File)
- National Chiayi University, Taiwan (2004) - BA (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- National Tainan Chia-Chi Girls' Senior High School, Taiwan (1999) - Certificate of high school (School) (✘ Not On File)
|Total Amount Of Feedback:||2|
|Total Positive Feedback:|