About First Tutors: NZ
First Tutors: NZ is New Zealand's leading online tutor-matching service. Established in 2008 and the first of its kind, First Tutors: NZ aims to provide access to the widest range of private tutors across New Zealand. We are committed to making the tuition market more open and as such and provide a facility for students to give feedback on their tuition.
Why Use Us?
Choice - Browse and select your private tutor from an area that is convenient for you - it's your choice. Private tuition is available in a wide range of academic subjects including those on the school curriculum, plus niche subjects too. Whether you need to brush up on your algebra or learn another language, First Tutors: NZ caters for everyone from all different age groups and backgrounds. Select the subject you require and the professional tutor to deliver top class tuition in the comfort of your own home.
Affordability - First Tutors: NZ ask for a $14.99 introduction fee and that's all! (and you only pay it once you've used the members area to discuss arrangements with your tutor). Some agencies may charge an additional $10 for every hour a private tutor teaches, but with First Tutors: NZ, there are no additional agency fees or hidden costs. We understand that many students are happy to manage their relationship with a private tutor themselves and would prefer not to continue paying an agency for that service.
Flexibility - There is no restriction to usual agency hours, our fully functioning service can be accessed 24:7, whenever suits you.
Accessibility - First Tutors: NZ is a well-designed, accessible site which is easy to navigate. We have a professional development team focused on delivering a high quality user experience.
First Tutors: NZ vs a Typical Agency
First Tutors: NZ differs to Tuition Agencies and it is important that you understand how:
- Browse and select your tutor - it's your choice who you choose for your needs, we aren't the middle man
- Contact tutors directly to discuss your needs - no payment necessary, you can talk in our private forums first
- We don't perform CRB checks - this means you must ask for any references/CRBs your tutor offers
- We ask for a $14.99 introduction fee and that's all. We don't ask for a $14.99 fee on top of every hour a tutor teaches, but equally we cannot fairly intervene if you are not happy with the tutor you have chosen because we do not manage the ongoing relationship. We do however collect feedback from all students regarding their tutor a couple of weeks after making an introduction for the benefit of other parents.
The cost difference between choosing your own tutor and using an agency:
|First Tutors: NZ||Typical Agency||Saving|
|Introduction||$14.99||$0 - $20||~$5|
|10 hrs of tuition||$180*||$250||$70|
|Additional Agency fees (10 hrs)||$0||$50
* This is based on our tutors average fee: $18 per hour (our tutors charge upwards of $9 per hour)