Information About ValeriaValeria
I am an applied linguist looking to help prospective international students succeed and faster assimilate into the Canadian society in either English or French.
Our lessons will be tailored to your needs and your current language level. Some suggestions of what we could focus on include (based on most frequent requests):
- conversation skills
- a specific skill (speaking, writing, reading, listening)
- test preparation (immigration, academic)
- specific language component (vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation)
- business/academic/personal communication
If you are a second language speaker looking to prepare for an oral presentation (business, thesis defense), precisely overcome your public-speaking anxiety, 1-2 sessions is usually enough to get fully prepared.
- over 7 years of tutoring experience
- 3 years of group teaching experience at university level (ESL and FLS)
- experience educating ESL teachers on ways to teach and assess some aspects of oral competence
- experience teaching students with a variety of first languages (Spanish, Farsi, French, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Polish, Italian, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Swahili etc.)
I believe in two main aspects of successful teaching:
- acceptance of an individual's learning style. You can't teach a snake to run, you have to consider what a student is given
- at the same time, you also have to take in consideration where a student wants to get
In my teaching, use a lot of hands-on activities (games, role plays, field trips, various authentic practice tasks), when it's possible, because I truly believe that the best way to learn is by doing.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- University of Ottawa (2016) - Bilingualism Studies (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Seneca College (2013) - Event Marketing Management (College) (✔ On File)
- Perm State University, Russia (2012) - Applied Linguistics (Bachelors) (✔ On File)