This is how a referee rated Sarah:
My name is Sarah and I’m a Canadian native English speaker. I’ve been teaching ESL for the past four years and have recently decided to make the move from classroom teaching to private online tutoring. I look forward to really being able to focus on students’ specific needs and help them achieve their language goals.
After completing a BA and MA in English Literature, I worked as an ALT (assistant language teacher) in Kochi, Japan for close to three years before returning to Canada to do my CELTA teaching certification. I then worked one year at language schools in Toronto and Australia. I’ve taught complete beginners and advanced students aged 12 - 60 from a variety of backgrounds and with different first languages. I’m committed to helping my students achieve their goals and to creating lessons that focus on real-life communication.
**Contact Detail Removed** Profile: **Web Address Removed**
Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in English Literature
CELTA - ESL teaching certificate
4 years teaching experience (Japan, Canada, Australia)
French, Japanese, Spanish
Lessons will always be conducted primarily in English, but I can offer explanations and help in any of these languages. I am also aware of the particular difficulties and challenges speakers of these languages might face when learning English.
Lessons will usually follow one of two formats.
1. A guided conversation that is as close to a natural conversation between friends/coworkers as possible. The student will speak as much as possible with the teacher providing correction, necessary words/phrases, and explanations as needed. This format works well for intermediate-advanced students who already have basic communication skills and who want to work on speaking in a more fluent, natural way.
2. During the first part of the lesson the teacher will present a new grammar point / vocabulary to the student and they will practice simple sentences and question-answer together. The second part of the lesson will be a freer conversation where the student can use the new target language. This format is ideal for beginners or students who want to work on particular grammar points.
Homework is a good way to practice and review, but it is optional. If the student wishes I will provide grammar / listen / reading / writing practice as homework. To maximize the efficiency of our lessons, I will check this for you outside of our scheduled class time and provide feedback via email. However, any major problems/questions about the homework can of course be discussed during class time.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- Cambridge University (2018) - CELTA (EFL teaching) (Other) (✔ On File)
- McGill University (2014) - English Literature (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Ottawa (2013) - English Literature (Bachelors) (✔ On File)