I graduated with distinction this year with a Bachelor of Honours in English Language & Literature.
I have excellent communicational and interpersonal skills, as well as experience as a teaching assistant in multiple positions. I am a great teacher, and I am passionate about helping others, such as the students I tutor. My style is friendly, fun, and collaborative. I believe that engagement and rapport are of the utmost importance.
I am a highly driven, ambitious person, and I enjoy challenges and working with others.
I love reading, especially poetry and academic writing; my favourite topics are literature and philosophy. I also love writing, particularly poems and literary criticism.
Teaching Assistant (January 2014-June 2014)
Windsor Police Service
The Safety Village
- Delivering safety programs and information to children
- Supervising children, monitoring behaviour, and resolving disputes
- Maintaining, cleaning, and setting up the classroom and outdoor facilities
- Creating and writing Powerpoint lessons
- Administrative tasks such as filing, completing Excel sheets, and keeping records
Volunteer Teaching Assistant, Kindergarten (November 2011-Present)
Greater Essex County District School Board
Marlborough Public School
- Assisted teacher, early childhood educator (ECE), and developmental services worker (DSW) with classroom activities, supervision, program delivery, and classroom clean up and set up
- Engaged in educational play and conversation with individual students and groups of students
- Helped DSW deliver programs to students with special needs, including independent learning activities
- Learned about assistive teaching tools for students with special needs, such as the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)
- Helped individual students deal with emotions and conflicts by discussing feelings, actions, and consequences, and by helping them create solutions
My personality is friendly, fun, and empathetic. I bring the same approach to tutoring. A positive relationship and a fun atmosphere significantly benefit a student's success, and patience and understanding are essential to fostering a student's understanding.
I also believe that a session should be as collaborative as possible; students learn far less from having something dictated to them than they do from back-and-forth engagement. A tutor should not assume understanding or simply wait for questions to be asked, but should check a student's understanding at every step.
I prefer a more relaxed, conversational style, as I feel this leads to greater retention, but I maintain high degrees of professionalism and content-delivery.
Lastly, I am not afraid of preparation! Your tutor should know the material and how they plan to supplement it before every session.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- University of Windsor (2020) - (BAH) English Language & Literature (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)