This is how 2 referees rated Pritesh:
My name is Pritesh and I am Ontario Certified Teacher (OCT). I have a combined four years of teaching experience at the High school level.
I started my journey as an educator a while back as a senior student in a primary school, where I tutored and mentored children struck by poverty in a village to provide them with an equal opportunity of succeeding in a competitive world. Even in the GTA, the lives of disadvantaged students are often very different from those of their more affluent peers. However, I believe that teachers and their great teaching is a strong enough force to close the achievement gap present in our education system. My teacher education training, along with my life experiences have empowered and guided me to honor inclusivity and social justice as key characteristics of a good educator. I am cognizant of the importance of differentiating instruction to accommodate all learners, irrespective of race, class, gender, and ability. Previously, I worked at Frontier College as an Instructor Coordinator for the Hammer Heads Program run in partnership with the Central Ontario Building Trades (COBT). I had an opportunity to work with youth (19-26 years old) of under-resources neighbourhoods in our communities and without this program these youth would not have access to the gainful employment opportunities that the unionized construction sector offers. I know the challenges the learners faces from basic literacy and numeracy to employability skills (i.e… soft skills) to secure an employment.
As a teacher, my first priority is always to place students’ success first. Throughout the years, I have devoted a significant amount of time to the development of young people. I believe that I have a unique perspective from which to draw. By far, my strongest asset is my positive language. Whatever the subject area or approach, I seize any opportunity to encourage student’s relationships with one another and always find ways to foster self-esteem and boost confidence levels. In addition, I am efficient at planning, organizing and managing time and not afraid to ask for help, if required. For example, within a short span of time I was promoted as a Social Science/Business Department Head at Brooklyn College given my outstanding performance during the Ministry Inspection. Moreover, while working at Frontier College, I was commended for a record of 100% success of learners enrolled in courses through Independent Learning Centre (ILC) with Frontier College.
As a teacher, I have implemented three-part lesson design, inquiry-based learning, case study analysis and backward mapping for all units planning. Additionally, I use technology and constructivist learning tools that include SMART Board, PowerPoint, and non-commercial models as aids for teaching and learning. I also utilize an effective classroom management strategy with the use of a STOIC model: S: structure/organize, T: teach, O: observe, I: interact, and C: correct. And, last of all, I strive towards varying my techniques for instruction, engagement, behavioural expectations, building character and trust and assessment (i.e… Assessment for, as, and of) to meet the varying learning needs of my students and to ensure that they achieve and experience high levels of success.
I see “great teaching [like] an art”. Striving for constant improvement in teaching techniques helps me renew my passion for the profession and allow me to make the greatest possible difference. This focus on technique and its constant refinement in my opinion is the path to success for teachers.
Department Head: Business and Others Sep.2015-Present
Brooklyn College, Toronto, ON.
• Developed course curriculum binders for the following courses: ESL AO-EO, MPM 1D/2D, ENG 1D/2D, CGC1D, CHV2O/GLC2O, CHC2D, ENG3U, BAF3M, BAT4M, BBB4M, BOH4M, CIA4U, and HFA4U
• Establish department priorities and evaluate progress towards these objectives, goals and guidelines
• Implement curriculum changes as required by the Ministry and select appropriate textbooks and resource materials for the department
• Promote consistent standards and performance objectives within the programme area by working with teachers to establish their procedures and to establish consistent evaluation and grading practices of students’ learning.
Business and ESL Teacher May 2015-Aug.2015
Birmingham International School of Canada, Toronto, ON.
• Developed and implemented three-part lesson design, inquiry-based learning and backward mapping for unit planning
• Engaged students in word play (i.e… puns, jokes, puzzles, games, and brainteasers) as a minds-on
• Extensively used SMART Board lessons to engage students in individual, paired, small-group, and whole-class activities and noted which environment maximized their engagement and success
Math, Physics and GED Instructor Coordinator Jul.2014-Apr.2015
Frontier College, Toronto, ON.
• Screen and assess high school transcripts of youth applicants aged 19-26 to determine prerequisites for supplementary courses or high school equivalency and work with youth learners and tutor volunteers to develop and update customized training plans along with learning goals
• Design and deliver academic upgrading instruction, particularly in the areas of Gr. 12 Math, Physics and GED and maintain student files, track statistics and provide program reports
• Train, supervise and support tutor volunteers and maintain and strengthen relationships with our community partners
Business Teacher Candidate Feb.2014-May 2014
Runnymede Collegiate Institute, Toronto, ON.
• Created a supportive environment for students to increase their willingness to take risks/experiment by introducing unique tribes activities to underpin the business concepts: BBI2O and BAT4M
• Focused on reciprocal peer tutoring by having students pair, tutor each other to achieve a common goal, and then individually work a sheet of drill business problems to get points for correct problems
• Conducted individual conferences with students during class as a way to bond with a student and as an opportunity to record informal assessments about a student’s progress
Science Teacher Candidate Sep.2013-Dec.2013 West Humber Collegiate Institute, Toronto, ON.
• Designed and monitored an individual course website for the two courses taught and the Edmodo platform was used to correspond and post relevant educational/course related resources: SBI3U, SBI3C and SVN3M
• Organized and supervised a trip to the Ontario Science Centre (OSC) to allow students to experience and understand Science’s everyday life importance and reinforce curriculum content
• Discussed students’ learning improvement and behaviour in class with parents during the parent-teacher conference and established a plan for resolving any problems the student is confronting
Help students to become better readers, writers and thinkers. My role is to help my students develop the skills to succeed at reading, writing and homework activities, not to just give them the answers.
Both my students and I are responsible for the activities during your sessions and should bring materials to work on. Choose activities based on my students: strengths, needs and interests.
Stick with it. Be on time. If I can attend a session, let my students know ahead of time. Expect the same commitment from my students.
Be a mentor
Always have a positive attitude towards books, learning and school. Help my students understand that making mistakes is an important part of learning.
Be a facilitator
I am a resource to help my students achieve their learning goals. I need to help my students develop self confidence and trust.
Be a motivator
Even the most eager students go through periods when they have trouble getting excited about learning. Help each of my students to focus and stay committed.
Open the world of learning to my students
Help my students to discover new interests and possibilities. Bring poetry, magazines, music and books anything that may catch their interest.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Hindi
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (evenings)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- York University (2014) - Bachelor of Education (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- York University (2012) - Bachelor of Business Administration (Bachelors) (✔ On File)