This is how 2 referees rated Matthew:
I was born in Canada and graduated from Ryerson University with a Bachelor of English, and have a genuine passion for education. I enjoy watching my students improve and make progress. I'm an open and friendly person, and try to make my lessons fun and instructive at the same time :)
I will be obtaining a Master of Teaching degree from U of T come September 2020, as it's my dream to become an elementary teacher. However, I'm also familiar and comfortable with tutoring university students/adults (see my experience below to learn more).
Whether you (or your child) need assistance with reading, writing, pronunciation, or conversation, I'd be happy and eager to work with you!
- Tutored many university ESL students through Ryerson's English Language Support program
> Identified students' needs (daily conversation, writing essays/research papers, reading comprehension, etc) and built custom lesson plans tailored to their abilities/interests
- Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) I obtained qualifies me to assist adults in all aspects of English communication
- Communication skills I cultivated through my English B.A. and Research Assistant position for the Texting Wilde Project (**Web Address Removed**) make me uniquely capable of assisting students looking to improve their schoolwork or just want to express their ideas clearly
- Taught ESL for two years in Thailand to kids ages 4-12
> In charge of all lesson planning, and strove to make all my lessons fun, engaging, and educational
> Lesson content was age-dependent, but included areas such as the alphabet, phonics, reading, writing/spelling, and pronunciation
- Volunteer: Toronto Public Library's "Leading To Reading" program (help young students improve their literacy and language abilities)
- Classroom Assistant Volunteer: Scadding Court Community Centre's "EarlyON" program for kids ages 3-4 (help teach students the alphabet, phonics, numbers, vocabulary, and writing letters/numbers)
I approach each student with care and consideration because everyone's interests, abilities, and needs are different - this means I adapt my lessons and teaching methods to suit you. What is central to all my lessons though is that they are engaging, goal-driven, and provide useful feedback.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (daytime)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Ryerson University (2015) - English (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- EC Toronto (2015) - CELTA (Other) (✔ On File)