Information About MarkCalgary tutor
I have always been passionate about teaching and learning and have worked in research and universities for the past several years. I am currently studying for the MCAT to head back and pursue a career in sports medicine, and enjoy a wide range of activities in my spare time (rock climbing, running, and biking). Providing tutoring services is a great opportunity to keep the material fresh in my mind, while giving me the opportunity to give back and help students achieve their goals. With the move to bigger class sizes and an increased online presence, tutoring is a key component to succeeding in classes.
As a TA for a wide variety of undergraduate classes, I have experience working with students from a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds, and have taught labs and help sessions for both junior and senior undergraduate classes. The classes I've TA'd include, but are not limited to the following areas:
University of Lethbridge:
Knowledge and Liberal Education Introductory classes, multidisciplinary, and critical examination of knowledge, the foundation of a liberal education; broad integration of examples from Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Fine Arts
University of Calgary:
PHYS 375 - Introduction to Optics and Waves
PHYS 259 - Electricity and Magnetism (for students in Engineering)
PHYS 211 - Mechanics
PHYS 223 - Introductory Electromagnetism, and Thermal Physics
My approach to tutoring involves a few key steps:
1. Get to know the student, and their learning style. This is key, as each student will approach learning in different ways.
2. Identify the area of trouble, or where they are looking to focus on. Is there a struggle with overarching concepts? Connecting ideas? Specific subject concepts?
3. Develop a plan and build on ideas. I want my students to be able to take what they learn from my sessions and use it to find success on their own.
I have extensive teaching experience, ranging from sociology, engineering, and physics classes and have worked with hundreds of students. I place a high importance of an individual approach in order to meet the needs of my students.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- University of Calgary (2019) - Physics (Masters) (✘ Not On File)
- University of Lethbridge (2016) - Remote Sensing (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)