Information About ChaitraliVancouver tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Chaitrali:
Currently, I am doing my MASc at the University of British Columbia. I have completed my Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering and attended Oregon State University where I studied the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
I was working as a Teaching Assistant at UBC as well as at OSU while completing my master's. During that time, I've also been tutoring individual students one-on-one and was teaching elementary level Mathematics and Science. While working as a Research Assistant at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, I was working on creating online tutorials, and learning material towards creating awareness about open source technologies among students.
I believe that each individual, class, age group, and subject area add to my expertise because I get to learn from them and apply what I’ve learned to improve myself and my teaching skills.
I have the ability to see the unique strengths of each student, and I try to use a learning approach to help students in developing their strengths while working on their challenges.
My aim as a tutor is to make students have their own views on the content and to assist or guide them to the point at which they become an independent learner. While working as a teaching assistant, I helped students to understand the subject and have confidence in answering exam questions and prepare them to tackle new and unfamiliar problems. My approach was based on the idea of critical thinking which gives rise to more responsible, creative and profound thinkers. This led to a unique relationship between tutors and students that makes students feel supported and cared for.
While teaching, I ensured that students do pay attention and don’t lose interest. I didn’t lecture to students or ask them to memorize things. Also, I did not complete the students’ homework for them! Usually, I'm focused on exam-style or past paper questions in order to check, practice and perfect the student’s understanding and technique.
One of the most valuable lessons tutors can share with their students is a passion for learning. My approach varies depending on the student’s needs and learning style. However, the ultimate aim is to teach them to become independent learners, using real-world examples wherever possible.
- Create a deep understanding and self-confidence for answering exam questions
- Help students to become ready to tackle new and unfamiliar problems by thinking out of box
- Encourage students to analyze subjects and allow them to express their opinion
- Don’t just ask questions which have a ‘yes or no’ answers
- Set assignments that require self-study and well understanding of the subject
- Emphasis on some other important skills such as essay structure and technique, logical thought, and the effective use of numbers and graphs.
- Request feedback from students to understand if the preferred strategy is helping to improve learning ability
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Oregon State University, USA (2018) - Master of Science (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Pune, India (2013) - Bachelor of Science (Bachelors) (✔ On File)