Information About Michael - Edinburgh teacher
This is how 2 referees rated Michael:
I am a professional musician, based in Edinburgh, Scotland, with over 15 years of tutoring experience with all ages and stages. I studied at the junior Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, then London's Guildhall School of Music and Drama, and now enjoy a freelance career as a performer and educator. I am a Henri Selmer Paris Artist, and D'Addario Woodwinds Artist.
I am a member of the Scottish Saxophone Ensemble and the Apollo Saxophone Orchestra, whose recent ‘Perpetual Motion’ album featured new works by Barbara Thompson. Notable performances include sell-out appearances at multiple Edinburgh Fringe and Jazz Festivals, at the Enterprise Music Scotland Chamber Music Festival, SOUND Festival, Prague Fringe Festival, RNCM Saxophone Days, and broadcasts for BBC1, ITV, BBC Radio Scotland, BBC Radio 3, and BBC Radio 6 Music.
I am co-Director of Transgressive North, a music and film collective which has worked with artists including Jarvis Cocker, Four Tet, Son Lux, Irvine Welsh, Owen Pallett, Deerhoof, Sheila Stewart, and Alexander McCall Smith. Alongside the release of our multi award-winning films Blackbird (Scottish BAFTA nominated) and When the Song Dies, Transgressive North are proud to curate the annual Folk Film Gathering. As a member of Marram, Transgressive North’s in-house band, my colleagues and I released our debut album 'Sun Choir' to critical acclaim.
Whether you wish to pass grade exams or simply learn some good tunes, I'm more than happy to help you achieve your goal! All ages and abilities are more than welcome.
Relevant experience includes:
- Professional musician with BMus (Hons) degree from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
- Saxophone Tutor at Edinburgh University and Napier University
- A Director of the Scottish Saxophone Academy
- Tutor for the Youth Music Initiative’s award-winning Jazz Programme in Aberdeenshire, and previously at St Andrews University, St. Mary's Music School, George Heriots School, and dozens of primary schools across the UK.
- Member of the Scottish Saxophone Ensemble and Apollo Saxophone Orchestra.
- Member of the Clarinet and Saxophone Society of Great Britain.
I have an excellent record of entering pupils for the ABRSM exam syllabus, with 100% merit and distinction level passes. I can also prepare pupils for all levels of the current SQA requirements.
I'm a member of the PVG Scheme/Disclosure Scotland, and am covered by Public Liability Insurance.
I strongly believe that students should enjoy music making first and foremost, and I take a fun, though systematic, approach towards helping them achieve their goals. If you'd like to do grade exams - great! If not, no problem!
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama (2007) - BMus (Hons) (Bachelors) (✔ On File)