Information About Matthew - Maryland teacher - (4 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Matthew:
--TAKING NEW STUDENTS FROM 2020--
I am a young and friendly professional musician working primarily in and around London.
Since graduating from the Royal Academy of Music with a Distinction in Jazz Performance, I have appeared professionally with bands including London Jazz Orchestra, Neon Orchestra, Nikki Iles Big Band, and Jazz Plus Ensemble, as well as my own groups. I have also appeared on several albums, and performed at many of London's top live music venues, including the Vortex, The 606 Club, QEH, The Purcell Room, King's Place, Pizza Express Soho, and The Spice of Life.
I play and teach the soprano, alto, and tenor saxophones, as well as jazz piano and theory.
- Woodwind Tutor at Abercorn School.
- Jazz Specialist at Brentwood School.
- MEHR Clef summer school course tutor (2019, 2020).
- Ronnie Scott's "Big Band In A Day" Workshop Leader.
- Tutor for Jazz Rehearsals London.
- NYJC "Jazz Ambassador" ; a course focused on developing the skills to teach improvised music to under-18s.
- Musical Director of Durham University Big Band (2012).
Drawing on a wealth of teaching experience, I have developed a bespoke approach both to teaching the saxophone, as well as improvisation and jazz theory.
I believe that having fun is the most important part of learning to play an instrument. With this in mind I try to address the specific interests of each individual student, and explore whatever aspects of playing the saxophone appeal to them. This is supported by a solid grounding in technical work, and I also like to encourage some jazz and improvisation in lessons where students show interest. I also have experience working towards grade exams/music medals should a student wish to pursue this.
In addition to this I am able to provide tuition in harmony/theory and basic keyboard skills, as well as composition/arranging.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Royal Academy of Music (2015) - MA (Distinction) in Jazz Performance (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Durham University (2013) - BSc (2:1) Psychology (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
|Total Amount Of Feedback:||4|
|Total Positive Feedback:|
He, immediately puts you at ease and his friendly style is reassuring.
I like the challenges he proposes; I've found that these help to focus and build skills (scales, improv… etc).
With my busy work schedule, Matt was extremely accommodating with respect to practise locations and times.
Thank you for all he help… I will be requesting more lessons this summer!