Information About Matthew - Tower Hamlets teacher - (3 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Matthew:
I am a recent MA (with Distinction) graduate of The Royal Academy of Music.
As well as leading projects of my own, I have appeared professionally with The London Jazz Orchestra, Neon Orchestra, James Brady's "Voyagers", and the Dom Ingham Sextet. I have performed at many of London's top live music venues, including the Vortex, The 606 Club, QEH, King's Place, Pizza Express Soho, and The Spice of Life.
I play and teach the soprano, alto, and tenor saxophones, as well as jazz piano and theory.
- Woodwind Tutor at Abercorn School.
- Jazz Specialist at Brentwood School.
- Ronnie Scott's "Big Band In A Day" Workshop Leader.
- Tutor for Jazz Rehearsals London.
- NYJC "Jazz Ambassador" ; a course focused on developing the skills to teach improvised music to under-18s.
- Mehr Clef Summer School Assistant Tutor (2014).
- Musical Director of Durham University Big Band (2012).
Drawing on a wealth of teaching experience, I have developed a bespoke approach both to teaching the saxophone, as well as improvisation and jazz theory.
I believe that having fun is the most important part of learning to play an instrument. With this in mind I try to address the specific interests of each individual student, and explore whatever aspects of playing the saxophone appeal to them. This is supported by a solid grounding in technical work, and I also like to encourage some jazz and improvisation in lessons where students show interest.
In addition to this I am able to provide tuition in harmony/theory and basic keyboard skills, as well as composition/arranging.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Royal Academy of Music (2015) - MA (Distinction) in Jazz Performance (Masters) (✘ Not On File)
- Durham University (2013) - BSc (2:1) Psychology (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
|Total Amount Of Feedback:||3|
|Total Positive Feedback:|
He, immediately puts you at ease and his friendly style is reassuring.
I like the challenges he proposes; I've found that these help to focus and build skills (scales, improv… etc).
With my busy work schedule, Matt was extremely accommodating with respect to practise locations and times.
Thank you for all he help… I will be requesting more lessons this summer!