Information About Hans - Bristol teacher
This is how 2 referees rated Hans:
I am a classical guitar teacher, film composer and music researcher. I hold a degree in guitar performance at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul-Brazil and I pursued my postgraduate studies in music at the University of Bristol where I earned both my doctor and master degrees.
Working as a professional classical guitarist since 2003, I have extensive professional practice experience of performance in a variety of settings and work both as soloist and in duets such as flute and guitar. My main interest is in Latin American guitar music but I am also very familiar with the Western guitar repertoire that covers renaissance, baroque, romanticism, classicism, Spanish and contemporary composers. In the UK, I have played at many universities where I delivered lecture-recitals, such as the University of Huddersfield; the University of Bristol; King’s College, and the universities of Hull, Newcastle and York. In July 2015, I played solo pieces and accompanied the Bristol Cabot Choir in their summer concert, and in January 2016 I played in an innovative concert mixing guitar and organ music. Since 2017, I started to perform solo guitar concerts at the foyer of Colston Hall in Bristol.
Since 2006 I have been a Senior Associate Teacher in guitar at the music department of the University of Bristol and in 2014 I joined Bristol Plays Music as a freelance music leader.
- Over 10 years of guitar teaching in Higher Education at the music department of the University of Bristol.
- Over 10 years of private guitar tuition in Bristol for students of all levels and ages.
I am also a senior lecture in film music composition at Leeds College of Music.
My students come from all levels and ages. I welcome pupils who either need mentoring in their guitar graded exams with ABRSM or Trinity, diplomas in performance, performance competitions or just want to play for fun. I have an enhanced DBS check and full public liability insurance.
I am a very enthusiast guitar tutor. I love to motivate my students in developing their performance abilities by making them aware of their own voice as performers. I do not want student to copy my own interpretations. Instead, I want them to think creatively in the concept of their own interpretations.
Although I tend to have an influence in their chosen repertoire I am also very flexible. I often support my students to focus in particular genres that they are interested to develop as guitarists.
I have successfully helped students to achieve the following outcomes:
1) Develop and display technical fluency and interpretative skills
2) Prepare and present solo public recitals with confidence
3) Identify and develop strategies for improvement of technical weaknesses
4) Extend knowledge of repertoire and associated technical/ musical requirements
5) Refine interpretive insight and its application to a high level
6) Discuss, and where necessary apply, historically-informed performance styles
7) Discuss performance issues confidently and in an informed manner
8) Perform effectively in an ensemble context (in the composition workshops and, if appropriate, in chamber music groups)
9) Discuss notational and performance issues with composers (in the composition workshops)
10) React positively to constructive criticism
11) Address personal development self-critically
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Bristol (2014) - Film Musicology (Doctorate) (✔ On File)
- University of Bristol (2007) - Composition of Music for Film and Television (Masters) (✔ On File)