Information About George - Greenwich teacher - (3 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated George:
George offers a discount of 50% on their first / introductory lesson!
Fancy discovering the secrets of the piano, learning how to play your favourite songs and become an expert in martial arts? Well, I can definitely help with the first two! I am a London based classical concert pianist, with an Artist Diploma from the Royal College of Music and over 20 years of performing experience. Although 'classical' is my main area of focus, I am a lover of all music so whether you like classical, jazz, pop or even composing/improvising, I can help you dive into the magical world of music and discover the joys of playing the piano.
If you're a beginner, here's a list of things you could learn in our lessons:
• how to play the piano from scratch
• how to play some of your favourite songs and tunes - classical, jazz, rock, pop, movies, video games, you name it
• how to confidently read a score (and all the black dots and squiggles)
• how to improvise without a score and make up your own songs (it can be done from the very first lesson!)
• work towards ABRSM and Trinity grades, and the keys to passing with distinction or merit
If you're more advanced, we can also:
• go in depth on classical repertoire and advanced techniques
• learn a range of techniques that will expand the type of sounds you can make at a piano
• learn how to problem solve tricky bits in a piece of music and be effective in your practice to minimize the time spent on mindless repetition (the closer to zero, the better)
• learn tips and tricks to make your general playing smoother and more effortless
• learn how to play jazz standards, pop, rock, soul, how to read chords and improvise
• learn more about harmony and theory, and how to use it to enhance our playing and improvisation
• how to express feelings and moods through improvisation and composing
• work on all the other necessary secondary skills like aural training, sight reading, transposing, recognising chords, and not clapping on 1 and 3
More about me:
I am an award-winning musician and a passionate piano and music theory teacher. I have been playing the piano since I was 6 years old, and competing since I was 8, having won over 20 first prizes at international competitions. I have performed internationally as a soloist and with orchestras in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Romania, France and the UK in venues such as the Wigmore Hall in London, West Road Concert Hall in Cambridge, Dôme de Pontoise in France and Mozarteum Concert Hall in Sazlburg, Austria. You can find more information about my projects and upcoming performances on my social media and website.
• 6 years of teaching experience in one-to-one lessons and group masterclasses, ages 5-18
• 20+ years of performing experience and knowledge to share
• currently teaching at Princes Gardens Preparatory School, South Kensington
• previous teaching positions at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's Junior Department and Stewarts Melville College, Edinburgh
• Enhanced DBS check
The goal is always to make the lessons fun and engaging, whilst also aiming to learn new things and gaining new skills. I cater all my lessons to each student's individual preferences. I avoid using the same method with every student because nobody likes music for the same reasons. After the first few lessons I outline what I think we can learn in the near and far future, and keep regular checks on our progress. A side benefit to this approach is that you become better at learning in general, better at communicating and abstract thinking and you get maximum fulfilment from playing the piano.
Lessons can be arranged either at my home studio, where social distancing measures can be in place, such as safe distancing, regular ventilation and disinfection of the teaching area and private guest bathroom for visiting students and parents. I am also happy to travel to the student’s home, as well as being fully equipped to teach online (Skype, Zoom, Facetime and others). My virtual setup is made of several camera angles including ones of the piano and score, as well as quality microphones to make your lesson as immersive and productive as possible.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Romanian
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Royal College of Music, London (2019) - Artist Diploma, Piano (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow (2017) - Masters of Performance, Piano (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow (2015) - Bachelors of Performance, Piano (1st class, Hons) (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
|Total Amount Of Feedback:||3|
|Total Positive Feedback:|
|Total Other Feedback: (not shown)||1|
tips on how to do things. I'm now reading and playing music fairly steady now(i could'nt before)
I've still a long way to go to reach the standard i envision myself, but with only two lessons and
the progress we're making, i feel it wont be long before i get there with george's help and tuition.