Information About Stephen - Rushden tutor - (1 review)
This is how 2 referees rated Stephen:
I am a research and consultant geoscientist and have been working in resource exploration for over 10 years. I have a PhD in structural geology and an M.Geol (1st Class Hons) in Geology from the University of Leicester. I have experience mentoring and tutoring to a range of abilities.
I currently run a multi-disciplinary geoscience **Contact Detail Removed** (**Web Address Removed**) and retain an honorary visiting fellowship at the University of Leicester.
I have a broad geoscience background, centred in structural geology and tectonics, with extensive experience in field geology (Arctic, USA, Central Asia), geophysical data interpretation (seismic, gravity, magnetics) and science communication.
I have published several papers and articles and regularly present my research at international conferences.
I am passionate about all aspects of the natural sciences and am a strong advocate for linking learning made in different disciplines and sub-disciplines to gain a better overall understanding of the way things work.
My mentoring, tutoring and teaching experience includes:
- Informal training in structural geology, petroleum geology and seismic, gravity and magnetic interpretation to professionals in the oil and gas industry.
- Supervised Masters and Bachelors students from the UK and Canada (including field supervision in the Arctic).
- Taught Part 1A Natural Science students at St. John’s College, University of Cambridge.
- Demonstrated practical classes to undergraduates at the University of Leicester, in mineralogy, igneous and metamorphic petrology, sedimentology, geological mapping and structural geology (including field classes).
- Given numerous outreach lectures to amateur geology clubs and local communities.
PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTACTING ME:
1) When you contact me, please let me know precisely what you need help with and how quickly you need it. This will save a lot of back and forth messaging.
2) By all means send me particular questions you are struggling with, but do not ask me to produce answers to questions and assignments you have been set. I will help students to understand how to answer the questions they are struggling with by discussing methods and strategies. I'll also give my assessment of the students' work. I am not here to do it for you!
I’ll always tailor tutorials to the student. Tell me what you’re hoping to achieve and I’ll prepare a no-obligation summary of what I suggest we cover.
I prefer face-to-face sessions, so we can sit and work things out together, but I can also provide effective tutoring through skype.
I believe effective learning is achieved by doing, so I will always endeavor to keep the tutorials as hands on as possible. I can also help students improve their critical thinking and essay writing skills.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Leicester (2008) - PhD in structural geology (Doctorate) (✔ On File)
- University of Leicester (2003) - M.Geol in geology (1st Class Hons) (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Furze Platt School, Maidenhead, UK (1999) - A-Levels in English, Maths, Geography and General Studies (School) (✘ Not On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||1|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|