Information About Roger - Mayfair tutor
This is how 3 referees rated Roger:
|Hourly Rate||Online Lessons|
I graduated in Mathematics and Computation from Oxford University (Pembroke College) in 1990. I work as a Management Consultant focusing upon areas related to management and analysis of information.
I have always a passion and enthusiasm for Mathematics and through helping my own children with their Maths work, it has inspired me to want to help others.
I have had a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - Basic check undertaken and a certificate. This is the only level of DBS check which I can apply for as an individual.
• Travelling - has been to sites of 6 of 7 Ancient Wonders of the World, 5 of 7 continents, Great Wall Of China to Great Barrier Reef
• History - interest ranging from Egyptian to Modern European. Was in Berlin and Prague on 1st anniversaries of revolutions in 1990
• Dancing - Ballroom, Latin and other styles of dance. But not currently
I have provided informal and paid Maths tutoring to a range of people over the last 25 years. This has included GCSE-equivalent exam preparation, tutoring 1st year chemists whilst at university, as well as pre-GCSE subject support most recently.
As a parent I have also been helping my own children in developing their Maths understanding. This has helped me to develop alternative and imaginative ways of explaining mathematical concepts, recognising that different people learn in different ways.
I have the mathematical background and capability to support the tutee and help them achieve their objectives, irrespective of how far they want to go and the outcomes they are looking to achieve.
I have first-hand experience that there is no single way that people learn, and this particularly applies to Mathematics.
Mathematics, perhaps more than many other subjects is about gaining confidence, and understanding the principles, concepts and rules and applying them (correctly) without making mistakes. Thus it is essential to ensure a sound foundation is established in to which more advanced concepts can be broken down.
I think that there is the requirement for formality and structuring of sessions although this does somewhat depend upon the nature of tutee and stage of learning as a level of flexibility to approach can also be necessary for certain people to learn effectively.
I recognise that generally there is a trigger driving the requirement for tutoring and so I would generally welcome a pre-session call to understand particular areas of interest or focus. Alternatively, this can be developed during the lessons based upon observation and review of the areas of confidence of the tutee. It is important to develop a clear view of what are the objectives and expectations of the sessions and ensure that this is regularly reviewed.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Open University (2005) - Business Administration (MBA) (Masters) (✔ On File)
- Pembroke College, Oxford (1990) - BA / MA Mathematics and Computation (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- Pembroke College, Oxford (1988) - Scholarship - Mathematics (College) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase, Marlow, Bucks (1987) - A-Levels: A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics), B (Chemistry), Special Papers: Distinction (Mathematics), Merit (Physics) (School) (✔ On File)