Information About Richard - Bradford tutor - (1 review)
English (Foreign Language)
I am a CELTA-qualified, experienced, IT literate and highly professional EFL teacher. I have much experience of successfully teaching junior, teenage and adult learners from beginner to advanced level.
For the past two years I have worked in Russia. In addition to teaching general and conversational English, I also prepared students for FCE. Prior to this I taught English at a residential Summer school in the UK. Before my EFL career I taught at one of the UK’s leading universities for four years. Here I supported students whose first language was not English, and was nominated for two teaching awards. Furthermore, I have run my own business assisting EFL university students with their academic writing.
EFL Teacher - BKC International House (Moscow, Russia)
September 2012 – June 2014
• Taught junior, teenage and adult classes from elementary to advanced level.
• Prepared students for FCE.
• Taught group and one-to-one lessons.
• Ran English Clubs for teenage and adult learners.
• Attended monthly seminars on professional development and classroom practice.
EFL Teacher - Select English (Cambridge, UK)
July 2012 - August 2012
• Taught teenage classes at elementary and intermediate level at a UK residential Summer school.
• Responsible for the pastoral care of students, supervised them on trips, and participated in social activities.
Cambridge CELTA – Action English Language Training Ltd (Leeds, UK)
• Undertook 6 hours of assessed teaching practice with pre-intermediate and intermediate students (ages 18 – 55).
• Participated in 120 hours of in-class instruction on classroom practice, language awareness and phonology.
Manager – Student Writing Support (Bradford, UK)
April 2011 – June 2012
• Ran my own online business providing proofreading, editing and language feedback services to EFL university students for their essays, dissertations and PhD theses.
Teacher – Social Sciences - Cardiff University (Cardiff, UK)
September 2007 – April 2011
• Nominated as Most Effective Teacher and Most Innovative Member of Staff in Cardiff University’s 2011 ‘Enriching Student Life Awards’.
• Provided academic and pastoral assistance, guidance and support to EFL students.
I am a friendly, approachable teacher and I strive to make the learning experience both enjoyable and focused. My approach to tutoring is student-centered. I believe that tutoring can only be effective if it is tailored to the needs of each individual student, and so my sessions are based around an initial review of the way you learn and produce work. From this I develop a tailor-made teaching plan to help you attain your goals. I believe the best way to make difficult ideas and theories comprehensible is to highlight their relevance to the real world and your own experience - and that the key to good teaching lies in showing how the knowledge is important, relevant and applicable to everyday life. It is essential that, no matter what the style of learning, you feel comfortable and able to ask questions, highlight areas of particular concern, and put forward your own opinions in a positive atmosphere.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- Cardiff University (2009) - Social Science (Doctorate) (✘ Not On File)
- Cardiff University (2006) - Social Science Research Methods (Masters) (✘ Not On File)
- University of Essex (1998) - Social Science Research Methods (Masters) (✘ Not On File)
- University of Bedfordshire (1997) - Psychology with English (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||1|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|