Information About Phillippa - Bourne End tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Phillippa:
English (Foreign Language)
I am a highly ENTHUSIASTIC teacher with a passion for finding the best way to DEVELOP STUDENTS' SKILLS. I am dedicated to offering the BEST SERVICE possible for my students. That's why I have put a lot of work into developing my unique teaching approach, which I CONSTANTLY UPDATE AND IMPROVE.
- I have 13 YEARS EXPERIENCE as a private tutor.
- I have taught ALL AGES (elementary/primary school through to adults) and abilities (BEGINNER to ADVANCED).
- Subjects I've taught are: English proficiency tests (IELTS & TOEFL), Business English, Academic English Writing (Composition) & Presentation, English Conversation, English Grammar, University & Job Applications, SAT & ACT, GCSE & A Level (Music, Business Studies, Media Studies, Maths, etc.), K-12 Elementary School Curriculum (Language Arts, Science, Reading, etc.), Music Theory, Musical Analysis, Improvisation & Jazz, Saxophone, and Piano.
- I've taught abroad (in Taiwan) for over three years so I'm used to teaching non-native speakers.
- I've worked in all kinds of SETTINGS at both public and private elementary & high schools (Charm Montessori School & Beaconsfield High School), universities (Reading University's BYJO), adult language centers (WHYGO Language Center), private language/cram schools (Alexander Academy), and at businesses (iChef).
HEAD OF ENGLISH (2013-2015) - Charm Montessori Elementary & Junior High School
INSTRUCTOR (2013-2015) - WHYGO Language Center
TEACHER (2012-2013) - Alexander Academy
GUEST TEACHER (2007-present) - Beaconsfield High School
PRIVATE TUTOR (2005-present)
My varied background and teaching experience has made me highly FLEXIBLE. I can adapt my teaching to fulfill each students' specific learning needs and interests. I am not one of those teachers who just stick to a book. Instead, I deliver PERSONALIZED lessons that are different for every student. As a former Montessori teacher, I support STUDENT-DIRECTED LEARNING (although my experience in CURRICULUM DESIGN enables me to create WELL-STRUCTURED LESSON PLANS as well). Every lesson, I consult with my students and regularly evaluate their level so that I only teach what they need/want to learn.
My lessons can be characterized by students' ACTIVE PARTICIPATION as opposed to mere lecturing by the teacher. I believe in guiding students to knowledge rather than just giving it to them. So instead of correcting students myself, I will help them to find the right answer themselves, and ensure they understand why exactly it is correct.
I also provide my students STUDY TIPS & TECHNIQUES that aid understanding and memorization. I am skilled at making teaching and learning material SIMPLE & ORGANIZED, and I can show students how to do this for themselves so that they can master INDEPENDENT LEARNING.
Whilst I take my job very seriously, I also understand the importance of lessons being ENJOYABLE. Therefore, I create a learning environment that is PATIENT, MOTIVATING, and INTERESTING. Lessons can be as CASUAL or SERIOUS as preferred.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Oxford (2010) - Music (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2006) - A Level English (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2006) - A Level Music (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2005) - A Level Maths (School) (✘ Not On File)