Information About Pavel - Edinburgh tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Pavel:
I am both enthusiastic and passionate about teaching and learning and I have very high expectations of all pupils in terms of their application and attainment. I have experience of teaching Mathematics from S1 to S6 and at degree level. I am committed to supporting every pupil in establishing an understanding of ideas and concepts and showing to the pupils how they fit together to make links across the curriculum.
Being an active member of the Numeracy Group in a secondary school, I have led the development of and delivered a series of CPD courses on Enriching Mathematical Thinking and Mathematical Modelling. I also developed and delivered an Advanced Higher course in Applied Mathematics (Mechanics).
I coordinated the UK Mathematics Challenge in the school and I worked with the United Kingdom Mathematics Trust. This entails teamwork and shared development in driving the Mentoring Scheme, Summer Schools and Mathematical Olympiads and promotes a positive outlook towards mathematics among pupils in our school. The pupils whom I coached entered the British Mathematical Olympiads and won medals and prizes.
I undertake and enjoy research in Mathematics Education. My major research interest is methodology of teaching Mathematics and Numeracy in Junior School and comparative analysis of the educational approaches used across the world (Singapore, Shanghai, Russia) with the variety of approaches used in the UK. My other major research interest is concerned with how the structure of assessments translates into teaching and learning and, more broadly, how the structure of the exams at the university entry level shapes the courses taught in secondary school. I was invited to organise and present a session on 'How to Make Tests Testing' at the British Congress of Mathematics Education in Manchester University. My articles 'The Aims and Purpose of a Standard School Mathematics Course' and 'University Entry Exams as a Measure of Success in Teaching Mathematics in Secondary School' were published in the Journal of Scottish Mathematical Council.
2003 - 2004, Edinburgh Language Center. Teacher of Russian.
2004 - 2006, The University of Edinburgh. Tutor, Demonstrator.
2006, Albany School, Enfield. Teacher of Mathematics and Physics.
2006 - 2017, Fife Council. Teacher of Mathematics.
I aim to
* Engage pupils and make Mathematics, a very demanding subject, fun and exciting
* Allow pupils to see and treat mathematics as a universal language of science and a powerful tool for modelling various phenomena and processes and exploring it to understand its ideas and methods
* Aid the development of logic, spatial awareness, algorithms and the critical thinking necessary for access to higher education and for entry to the professions
* Give students the basic skills and knowledge necessary for everyday life and for other school disciplines
* Have a cultural impact on our pupils so that they appreciate the importance of mathematics for progress in science and technology, treat it as a part of human culture and have some knowledge of its development
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- The University of Edinburgh (2007) - PhD (Doctorate) (✘ Not On File)