Information About Milly - Durham tutor
I am currently studying Modern Languages at Durham University where I study French literature, Spanish and Italian. It is worth noting that I was also offered a place to study English Literature here, but turned it down. This shows I am competent in both fields. I have also specialised in History of Art. I gained 1 of the 5 grades in the country for my GCSE English Literature and have been teaching ESL for over 3 years now to children of varying ages and nationalities. I spent my gap year in France where I attended Montpellier University and gained a First Class degree in FLE. My grade was the highest not only in that session but in several years despite my studying for less time than the other students as I had to fit a degree into a year! In my first year at Durham I was moved into 4th year level French Oral classes and gained have (up until this point) always gained first class results in my summative French exams. I spend my summers teaching English or French and my term time studying languages so I would be able to teach either. I adore languages, but I also accept that they can be very difficult to learn and that's why I want to become a tutor; I hope to inspire in children the same love that I myself have for French. I also have experience with French from a business point of view, since I helped liase between the British council and the Tunisian government in order to arrange the telecoms conference that will take place in Tunisia in a few months time. I have done online translation work as well.
As well as my degree in French I have a certificate of excellence from the Alliance Francaise and I was awarded distinction on the AEA A2 step paper.
I feel that it is worth saying that I set myself aims with every student which it is very important for me to achieve. I will do everything I can to improve their written and spoken levels in French and/ or ESL.
- Private tutor in Nimes to a boy of 12.
- Assistant in a French secondary school helping French children (yes, I know this seems strange, but sometimes native speakers struggle with grammar) grammatically.
- I have also tutored French to a Spanish boy of 11, 2 Italian children of 7 and 9.
- I was awarded a well sought after position teaching French in a British camp this summer; however, I chose instead to teach English in Spain.
- I was a languages assistant in a Parisian sixth form on my gap year for 5 months whilst studying at the alliance francaise.
- I was a languages assistant in a French secondary school near Montpellier whilst I studied there.
- I taught ESL to a group of Spanish children this summer.
- I am currently working as an English tutor at Key stage 3 and GCSE level for students who attend British school in Paris.
- I taught ESL to a group of Italian children during the Easter holidays.
- I have been an au pair 7 times. Each time this has involved teaching either French or English.
I plan each lesson according to the students' needs. I always try to focus on two areas as it has been shown that the brain needs to switch activities after 30 minutes in order to remain effective. For example, I could dedicate some of the time to oral communication and the rest to written or grammar, but it really does depend on what the student desires and requires.
My aim is that the lessons be not only useful, but also fun because, in the end, I want children to be inspired by these languages and not just seem them as a duty or 'devoir' as the French say!
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (evenings)
References Available: No (✘ Not On File)
- Paul Valery University, Montpellier (2010) - Degree in FLE, distinction (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
- Alliance Francaise (2010) - DELF B2 (DISTINCTION) & C1 (Professional) (✘ Not On File)
- Kingswood school (2009) - 4As AS level, 3As A level and distinction in the FRENCH AEA step paper (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Prior Park College (2007) - GCSE x 10 a*s (School) (✘ Not On File)