Information About Lucy - Maidenhead tutor - (29 reviews)
This is how 2 referees rated Lucy:
Lucy offers a discount of 50% on their first / introductory lesson!
|Hourly Rate||Online Lessons|
I completed a BA Hons degree in the UK, and then went on to gain a PhD in Chemistry in the USA. My professional background in industry and academia includes experience in R&D . I began offering tutorials to candidates in Greater London 10 years ago. More recently I have tutored Chemistry at 11+, 13+, GCSE, AS, A2, preU, International Baccalaureate and University levels.
1. Tutor, London and Home Counties (2008-date)
• Tutored nearly 100 students
• Edited/proof read theses, papers and presentations
2. Assistant Professor of Chemistry, USA (1989-1991)
• Wrote and delivered course of lectures in General Chemistry to1st and 2nd year undergraduates
• Wrote and delivered course of lectures in Biochemistry to 3rd year undergraduates (Juniors)
• Led problem solving sessions for General Chemistry students
• Developed and supervised laboratory course for undergraduates majoring in Biochemistry
• Supervised undergraduate General Chemistry laboratory course
• Supervised student’s research and thesis in her Senior (Final), year
3. Teaching assistant, USA University (1982-1987)
• Supervised problem solving sessions for undergraduate General Chemistry course (1st year undergraduate lecture course)
• Supervised students in General Chemistry undergraduate laboratory course
• Trained and supervised students using departmental 300 MHz NMR instrument
4. GCSE tutor, Tutorial College Thames Valley (1981-1982)
• Led problem solving tutorial sessions for students preparing for GCSE Chemistry exams
I believe in working with students and parents to ensure that the tutorials are tailored to the needs of the pupil. Generally I am recruited to tutor when time is at a premium and achievement of a good grade is prioritised. That said, I enjoy assignments which allow my passion for Chemistry to find expression
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: French, German
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Stanford University (1989) - PhD Chemistry (Doctorate) (✔ On File)
- Oxford University (1982) - BA Hons Chemistry (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||29|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|
|Unpublished feedback: (usually negative)||3|
Finally, in view of the fact that I never gave a tutorial, I suggest that Mrs Lloyd's feedback is unnecessary and shold be deleted.
Thank you Maria!
My experience with young people has led me to conclude that they appreciate being treated as adults and are happy to handle candour such as mine - even when their parents treat them with condescension. Certainly the girl's affect did not convey unhappiness. I suspect that there is something else going on here - perhaps originating with the parents and their reaction to me - perhaps something else.
It is surprisingly old-fashioned; more rigorous than the UK and EU courses; although there is some overlap with the material in the A level text I studied wtitten by the then Head of Chemistry at Eton
I clearly still have much to learn.