Information About Lydia - Southwark tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Lydia:
Lydia offers a discount of 25% on their first / introductory lesson!
Hello, I am a medical student at King's College London, currently in my third year of my training.
This degree has given me a great understanding of biology, chemistry and maths from several years of intense studying. I completed second year examinations with merit (83%) and a distinction in medical sciences.
Now that I am in clinical placements in London hospitals I have developed the skills of explaining concepts simply, and tailoring that explanation to the current understanding of the patient, as well as developing friendly relationships with people from all differently backgrounds and different personalities. These skills I feel assist me hugely in my tutoring.
After completing my medical training, I hope to specialise as a paediatric doctor.
I am so enthusiastic about sharing my knowledge and helping students to do the best they possibly can as I know that the enthusiasm of those who taught me when I was younger really inspired me to work hard and get to where I am today. I also really enjoy being a tutor and helping pupils come to enjoy their subjects more, and I feel so proud when I see them improving and succeeding more than they ever expected.
Prior to medical school, I attended Norwich High School for Girls in Norfolk. Here I obtained
-12 GCSEs grade A*-A including Mathematics IGCSE, Additional Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- Latin AS level grade A
- 4 A levels grade A* including Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry
I was also named a Norfolk County Scholar, an award that recognises outstanding performance at A level.
On top of my tutoring experience, which I have outlined below, I also have experience working in many different settings which have developed my skills maintaining good working relationships, patience, excellent time management and organisation, and sharing my enthusiasm:
- Individual Academic Tutor
- Teaching Assistant, The Clare School, Norwich - Specialist ‘Physical and Sensory’ Complex Needs School.
- Health Care Assistant, Norfolk Community Health and Care Trust, Norfolk.
- Chief Operations Director, The Unofficial Guide to Medicine, Zeshan Qureshi Publishing Ltd. An international medical textbook publishing company.
- Sales Assistant, John Lewis, Norwich
- Children's bedside play volunteer, Evelina Children’s Hospital, London
- Volunteer First Aider, St John’s ambulance, London
Outside of my work and studies, I am 22 years old and am very interested in Sport and Fitness; A favourite hobby of mine, this also led to an interest in health and nutrition. I thoroughly enjoy spending my free time running and improving my strength and fitness at the gym with my training partner. I have always enjoyed active, outdoor activities including sailing, windsurfing and hiking, particularly yearly trips to the mountains of the Lake District or the French Alps. I also very much enjoyed completing my Duke of Edinburgh award Silver and Gold expeditions. I love to spend my time travelling whenever I get the opportunity and experiencing different cultures and trying to gain some understanding of other’s lives in different parts of the world has become a huge love of mine. In particular, my 3.5 month trip through South East Asia, staying with families in their own homes and visiting the most rural, untouched areas of the countries I visited, was an incredibly eye-opening and enjoyable experience.
I shall be taking on new students from September and so am happy to discuss requirements and make arrangements with new tutees now in preparation for that time.
- Individual academic tutor since 2016
• Provided one-on-one and group tuition to secondary school children in maths and sciences to a GCSE standard.
• Built on teaching and interpersonal skills.
• Developed excellent rapport with all pupils of varying ages and backgrounds.
• Achieved the required balance between a personal and friendly relationship whilst maintaining professionalism.
• Showed commitment and dedication to weekly sessions.
• Organisation and preparation of session plans and undertook full responsibility for ensuring best possible teaching standard to all pupils.
- Previously worked as an individual tutor at Norwich High School for Girls where I mentored maths and science to younger pupils in the school.
- Worked as a Teaching Assistant and The Clare School, Norwich.
• Assisted in coordinating and facilitating lessons and class activities in this Specialist ‘Physical and Sensory’ Complex Needs School.
• Personally helped children with complex medical and learning needs with extra individual one-on-one tuition.
-First and foremost, my approach is that tutoring sessions should be enjoyable. Experience has shown me that pupils progress the most when they look forward to the sessions, and want to work hard during them to do the best they possibly can. I've found this leads to much more enjoyment and enthusiasm for the subject overall, with pupils becoming more motivated during lessons and at home when doing homework too.
-Personal approach - I will always start by having a chat with the student about what they find particularly hard, where they struggle, what they think might be causing they're difficulties, and how what help they think they need. I will always tailor my teaching methods and pace to the child, whether it's just extra practice they need, someone to just explain a concept in a new way, or often just someone to support them and increase their confidence in themselves.
-Patient and thorough - I've noticed that a lot of the time pupils are stuggling because they didn't quite understand a basic concept and are now having difficulties with more advanced problems building upon this foundation block. If this is the case, I feel it's so important to pause and take the time to ensure they have a good grasp of the basics so we can build up from there as it helps so much in the long run.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- King's College London (2018) - MBBS, Bachelor or Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)
- Norwich High School for Girls (2014) - A Levels - Mathematics A*, Further Mathematics A*, Biology A*, Chemistry A* (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Norwich High School for Girls (2013) - AS level - Latin A (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Norwich High School for Girls (2012) - GCSEs - 10A*s + 2As - including Mathematics IGCSE, Additional Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics (School) (✘ Not On File)