I am a postgraduate student at the University of Oxford preparing to begin my DPhil thesis, after receiving a Distinction in my MPhil (also at Oxford). Part-time I have worked as an education consultant for A&J Education in London. I have a wide range of teaching skills, having catered to groups of students of vastly different age groups, abilities, and backgrounds. Since my final year of undergraduate, I have taught over one hundred students directly, ranging from groups of five-year-olds to one on one university preparation sessions with young adults. As a key member of the senior management team of a tuition startup during the year between my degrees, I took on the responsibility of developing and implementing teaching material and techniques over a variety of subjects and learning stages. I have worked extensively with students for whom English is not their first language and work to cultivate an engaging, rigorous, and friendly environment with all my students.
The Learning Hive / Business Development and HR Manager, Tutor
September 2017 – September 2018
Responsible for developing and providing a programme of tuition that could be delivered for free within state schools, using government grants and bursaries, to students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds in East London. This has included:
● Recruiting and managing a successful team of fifteen tutors and staff to create awareness of and deliver the programme.
● Aiding the growth of the programme, expanding into three schools within two months .
● Providing small group tuition for students up to the age of 18 across Maths, Science, and English, with a specialisation in helping older students develop confidence for A-Level and GCSE English examinations.
● Creating a performance accountability programme for tutors and liaising with local comprehensive schools to ensure that the company provides the maximum benefit to the communities we operate in.
● Extensively researching employment best practice and any legal obligations related to working around children to make sure that the
company always operates with maximum integrity.
● Devising and implementing a scalable multiple-check system to ensure the safeguarding of both our employees and students.
Allen and Jain Education Consulting Ltd/ Tutor in Philosophy and Theology
Started June 2017
Education Consultant helping co-ordinate teaching, make effective applications, and generally advise on all aspects of education for students from the age of 5 to postgraduate level.
Philosophy and Theology tutor for university preparation, A-Levels, university entrance preparation, and 11+ and common entrance exams.
● Delivering initial assessments for each student from which I produced a plan tailored to their abilities, interest, and aspirations.
● Tutoring across a range of topics within both philosophy and theology, including introductory epistemology and metaphysics, and the philosophy of religion, science, and logic.
My teaching approach varies considerably depending upon the aims and skills of my students. Through my diverse teaching background I have developed the ability to tailor my focus and approach in accordance with the needs of a large variety of students.
However, regardless of whether I am preparing an undergraduate for their finals exams at university or helping a five year old with their literacy skills I always aim to be closely engaged and encouraging. I find that this helps foster trust and interest in students, which in turn leads to more concerted engagement with the material and, ultimately, a more productive learning experience.
|Availability||Weekends, Weekdays (all times)|
|References Available||On File|
|University of Oxford||2017||Bachelors||Philosophy and Theology BA (Hons)|
|King Edward VI Grammar School||2014||School||History A-Level - Grade A|
|Kind Edward VI Grammar School||2014||School||English Cambridge Pre-U: Grade D1 (Equivalent of above A* at A-Level)|
|King Edward VI Grammar School||2014||School||Biology A-Level: Grade A|
|Unpublished feedback (Usually negative)||0|