Information About James - Newport Pagnell tutor - (1 review)
This is how 2 referees rated James:
Computer Studies / I.T.
I'm currently a part-time teacher of Computing and Mathematics at one of the leading secondary schools in Bedfordshire. Prior to that I taught at secondary schools in Milton Keynes and Oxford. I fundamentally believe that everyone can `do` mathematics, but if it is experienced in the wrong way the subject can be alienating and lead to life-long `maths anxiety`.
I have experience in improving the mathematical skills of all abilities - from those working for Oxbridge entrance examinations to those who find it difficult to access the basics of numeracy. In all cases I work with the strengths and powers of the individual, helping them access the maths using the skills and perceptions they have already.
Before I became a maths teacher I was a teaching fellow in Computer Science at one of the UK`s leading universities. Thus, in addition to maths, I offer tutoring in all aspects of undergraduate, GCSE and A level Computer Science.
Programming and Software Development
For the past 10 years or so I have run a small software development company, undertaking work during school holidays. Clients have typically been from the education and retail sectors requiring web-based applications or services (I do a little bit of hosting). I would describe myself as a full stack developer and data scientist, with Ruby on Rails, Elixir and Python as my current tools of choice. I also have a pretty good understanding of all things databases, having extended SQL to work with additional spatial data types as part of my PhD. I can thus offer expert-level tuition on a comprehensive range of IT tools and programming languages.
- 10 years full-time teacher. Roles include Head of Department and Professional Tutor for trainee teachers
- PGCE in Mathematics and and MSc in Teaching and Learning both from Oxford University
- PhD in Computer Science from University of Exeter
- 2 Years Teaching Fellow in Computer Science at University of Exeter
My availability is limited, and I have only a few slots available. I can tutor clients at their homes if they are in Cranfield or one of the surrounding villages. Otherwise I prefer to tutor clients at my family home in Cranfield.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Oxford (2013) - MSc in Teaching and Learning (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Oxford (2008) - PGCE in Mathematics (PGCE) (✔ On File)
- General Teaching Council (2008) - Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) (✔ On File)
- University of Exeter (2007) - PhD in Computer Science (Doctorate) (✔ On File)
|Tutees Providing Feedback:||1|
|Tutees Providing Positive Feedback:|