Information About James - Liverpool tutor
This is how 2 referees rated James:
English (Foreign Language)
My name is James . I hold an English and Modern History degree (BA Joint Honours) at University of Liverpool.
I can teach both English and History at all age levels.
From October 2013- November 2014 I lived in South Korea, teaching English as a second language (ESL) at three schools (Primary, Middle and High School). I taught every age group, from Nursery until the final year of High School. As well as this, I taught after school Special Education lessons twice a week.
I also taught (and continue to teach) several online classes a week to Primary school students, as well as private tutoring four days a week during my time in Korea. This tutoring experience included a doctor, a dentist, a15 year old girl and an 18 year old male student, studying for his university entrance exam.
Over the last year, I have gained valuable skills in communicating with extremely different groups of young people and adults, adapting a flexible and dynamic approach to English language teaching.
I have one year English teaching experience in Mokpo, South Korea. During this period I:
● I developed a dynamic approach to teaching varying English proficiencies.
● I created educationally stimulating and fun lesson plans to motivate and inspire students in the English classroom.
● I learnt the art of self-reflection and self-critique of what activities worked and didn’t work in the classroom. This helped sustain a developing professionalism and avoid complacency in my approach to creating a relaxed, enjoyable and comfortable classroom environment.
● I embraced a high-energy personality type and positive attitude to encourage full classroom participation. I developed different reward systems based on classical conditioning and positive reinforcement to motivate student needs.
● I learnt to self-motivate myself as a teacher. Day to day teaching can be difficult, but I believe it is the duty and responsibility of the teacher to embrace the challenge with a smile and give warmth to students at all times.
● I learnt to adapt and develop text book activities to the specific needs of my students.
● I developed keen observation skills in order to sense the mood and feelings of my students each day, allowing me to adapt my lesson plans to their needs.
● I learnt to be flexible: adapting or changing activities during lessons based on student receptiveness.
● I developed effective time management, making sure all components of the lesson were included in the 40 minute window. I also improved organizational skills to effectively teach and create lesson plans each day.
● I learnt to cope and adapt to a high pressure and fast working environment, as a result of school schedules changing on a day to day basis.
● I developed inter-cultural awareness and inter-cultural communication skills, with both students and co-workers alike.
Over the past year I have learnt a lot about myself and Korean culture, completely changing my outlook on life. The above outlines not only the experience I have gained, but also my teaching philosophy, which I enthusiastically develop every day.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Liverpool (2013) - English & Modern History (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)