Information About Gabriel - Islington tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Gabriel:
Before inspiration comes interest. Inspiring interest in a subject is the first step towards unpicking problems and finding solutions in learning. I'm a motivating tutor committed to enhancing a pupil's learning experience.
With 2 years of experience as a private tutor, I join First Tutors an experienced, committed and reliable tutor prepared to help your son or daughter excel in the subject in which they need help. I have helped pupils from 8 to 18 years old achieve the grades they need to progress at school or to secure a place at the university of their choice.
I specialise in and have worked as a tutor for:
- Preparation for 11+ examinations in English and Maths
- Preparation for English Literature examinations (Common Entrance, GCSE, A-level and two Undergraduate clients)
- Preparation for History examinations and essay writing (Common Entrance, GCSE, A-level.)
- Preparation for Classics Examinations and essay writing (Common Entrance, GCSE Classical Civilisation, A-Level Classics.)
- Mentoring and tutoring for UCAS personal statements, university interviews, Oxbridge admissions process (including applications, admissions tests and the interview).
- I also have experience as a tutor of both essay writing and creative writing.
With a record of academic excellence, I attended Uppingham School, achieved 10 A's at GCSE to then move to a well ranked independent London 6th form, Brampton College, where I achieved three A's at A level. I achieved a high 2.1 at a leading Russell Group university, Queen Mary, University of London - averaged a first in my third year, with a high 1st in my dissertation - and worked as a commercial copywriter for some years, whilst furthering a career in writing. However, my longstanding love of academia and learning has pulled me towards tutoring where I have over the course of 2 years discovered a love of teaching; I now **Contact Detail Removed**l time.
I have 2 years of experience tutoring pupils 1-1 and a years experience leading creative writing workshops.
The role of a tutor is unburdened by the disciplinary duties of a teacher, which can often interrupt the relationship between teaching and learning and unlike that of class teaching, tutoring is entirely personal. This is the foundation of my style in tutoring. Being very sensitive to your child's particular response to learning - be it aural, visual or interactive or a mix of the three - I begin to tailor lessons entirely to your son or daughter. Each lesson will be different from the one before it and will involve:
- Close Reading.
- Aural listening.
- Intellectual discussion and debate about a subject.
- Past Paper analysis.
- Recaps and Summary activities.
Every tutee has a different reason for needing a tutor. Whether it be a lack of concentration, a lack of confidence, or perhaps, an inability to appreciate the subject or a variety of other reasons, it is my duty as a tutor to identify this and work to correct it. Patience and understanding are at the core of my philosophy as a tutor and unlike teachers at school, I believe a tutor has to engage a pupil on their level to invoke interest in a subject; I will always treat your son or daughter as an equal and will never get frustrated when helping them overcome obstacles in learning. To give an example, if your son or daughter has trouble concentrating or remaining calm during a high pressure exam, a part of the lesson will be spent on academic solutions such as accessible essay plans and structuring time and then more holistic methods such as memorisation, recall techniques and breathing exercises to remain calm and focussed. This is one amongst many of the obstacles I have helped pupils overcome.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Queen Mary, University of London (2017) - English (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- Brampton College (2013) - English A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Brampton College (2013) - Classics A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Brampton College (2013) - History A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)