Information About Frances - Edinburgh tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Frances:
English (Foreign Language)
|Hourly Rate||Online Lessons|
Friendly, reliable and experienced, with a gentle British English accent.
Qualified to PhD in 2014 (English & Languages Department, Surrey University), with the motivation to continue working with foreign learners of English at any stage of their development (beginner through to post graduate or business English improvers).
Based in Edinburgh, with access to transport links across the city.
• Students’ Union employee, community volunteer and ‘Student Representative of the Year’ during BA and MA Degrees.
• Mentor and student support worker to students with disabilities during PhD.
My relevant teaching experience:
• TEFL training moduleduring BA (Hons) Degree at Bath University, including one-to-one tutoring of English to young adult learners.
• Two years in Paris and three months in Italy working with young children to improve their understanding of English (references available).
• Completion of the following teaching programmes at Surrey University: Introduction to Teaching; Student Learning; Assessment & Feedback; Technology Enhanced Learning; and the Graduate Certificate in Learning & Teaching (module 1 classes only).
• Provided language support (both grammatical and oral) to BA, MA and PhD students across multiple disciplines at Bath University and Surrey University.
• Marking of MA assignments, including spelling and grammar correction and feedback at Surrey University.
• Mentoring and emotional support to students via the Learning Support Team at Surrey University.
• Residential work placement in 2012 at New College Worcester, a specialist school for blind and visually-impaired students between 11 and 18 years of age.
• Involved in training and coaching new colleagues and contractors on a business level for over 25 years.
• Trained in listening, communication and empathy skills with the Samaritans, Winchester in 2015.
Learning a language should be fun!
The aim is for you to enjoy speaking and writing English, whilst moving at your own pace through a programme of learning that is designed around your requirements and interests.
We could meet: in a coffee shop, at the local library, at your home or at your office.
We could talk about: books, business, films, music, travel, culture or life in general. It’s up to you!
• General English conversation
• Targeted English conversation (in your area of interest, e.g. business sector)
• Help with grammar and written English, including forms and letters
• Improved listening skills using audio-visual aids
• One-to-one feedback on dissertation grammar and flow (full proofreading service can be offered and priced separately)
• Voice recordings of your own material (e.g. course notes or presentations)
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: French, Italian
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Surrey (2014) - PhD (Doctorate) (✔ On File)
- University of Surrey (2007) - MA (Distinction) (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Bath (2005) - BA (Hons) Degree (Bachelors) (✔ On File)