Available from AUGUST 2022
A little bit about me, I am a mother of three boys, a passionate Physics teacher, a tutor, a baker and an avid traveller.
I graduated from the University of Strathclyde with a BSc (Hons) in Laser Physics and Optoelectronics. Following this my first graduate position was at IBM (Scotland). After having two children, I decided to change my career path and completed my PGCE in Secondary Physics and Science teaching; and this is where my educator journey began.
After teaching for a few years in Scotland, I sought out a change in environment and to expand my career options, I moved to Dubai. Firstly, teaching at Jumeirah College as Head of Physics and then moving onto Jumeirah English Speaking School (JESS). After 9 years we decided to move back to Scotland and I started teaching Physics at a private school, St Aloysius’ College. This then led onto our next international endeavour to the United States, where I was offered a job at the British International School of Houston and I worked there as Head of Physics for 4 years.
After experiencing what America had to offer and travelling to 43 States, we decided to move to Singapore for a different cultural experience and travel opportunities. Unfortunately, this coincided with the pandemic and travel restrictions, hence my decision to move back to Scotland and be closer to my two sons.
I have been teaching Physics and Science for the past 18 years for students aged 11 to 18. I am a qualified Physics teacher, IB Senior Examiner, IGCSE Examiner and have held numerous posts of responsibilities at different schools around the world throughout my career.
My experience includes working in Singapore, Houston, Dubai and Scotland. I am currently teaching IB Physics, A Level, IGCSE, Middle School Science (KS3 - Year 7 to 9) at Tanglin Trust School in Singapore and have previously taught National 5 and Highers in Scotland.
I also have extensive experience in one-to-one tuition and have tutored a range of high school students in Dubai, Houston and Glasgow. Currently, I am involved in tutoring online via Zoom.
I have worked at multiple private schools and have always been involved in the Science entrance examinations from creating them, marking and providing feedback to students. The entrance point is 11+, the start of GCSE and Sixth form for IB and A Level.
My teaching experience is outlined below,
August 2020 – July 2022 Tanglin Trust School Singapore
Teacher of Physics and Science
• Teaching IB, A Level and GCSE Physics along with Middle School Science.
• Involved in writing new schemes of work for Middle and High school on OneNote and Microsoft Teams.
• FOBISIA Middle leaders course completed
• Model United Nations conferences and activities organised for virtual conferences.
• Involved in the Holiday Program to deliver a range of activities to students ranging from science exploration to baking and decorating.
• Use of ‘Multiple Inadequate Glances’, Kognity, Seneca and Retrieval quizzes to inform of student progress.
August 2016 – Jul 2020 British International School of Houston Houston, USA
Head of Physics/ Science and Cover Manager
• Involved in teaching the IB HL and SL Physics course and have completed the IB CAT 2 course.
• Leading a team of cover teachers and organising absence cover and duties for the whole school.
• Introduced and involved in organising science trips to Space camp and CERN Geneva.
• Continued professional development via the Nord Anglia University on embedding TOK, inquiry-based learning and digital classrooms.
• Writing concept-based and inquiry learning unit planners to embed the love of learning through questioning and exploration.
• Leading and implementing ManageBac. Whole school responsibility for managing and organising INSET for new staff on Managebac and Turnitin for staff and students.
• Led a UNICEF and UN trip to New York to empower students in working towards achieving the Global Goals by 2030 and NASA Space Academy program.
• Attending and preparing students for Model United Nations Conferences both locally and international.
• Apple teacher and extensive use of a range of digital learning apps, including Microsoft Teams and OneNote, for delivering lessons along with Apple software such as Keynote and Pages.
• IB pastoral and subject specialist.
August 2015 – July 2016 St. Aloysius’ College Glasgow, Scotland
Teacher of Physics
• Teaching S1, S2, National 5 Physics and developing resources for the new Higher syllabus.
• Updating student booklets, assignments and tests which reflect the curriculum changes from SQA.
• Involved in an S6 Leadership course and an Advanced Higher trip to CERN, Geneva.
• Using iPads in every lesson and introducing the Flipped classroom model.
• Devising experiments using the PASCO software and equipment.
August 2010 – July 2015 Jumeirah English Speaking School Dubai, UAE
Teacher of Physics, IGCSE Coordinator, KS3 Science
• Teaching the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at Higher and Standard Level.
• Implementing the new KS4 Edexcel Science curriculum in 2011 and in charge of mapping the changes needed in Physics at KS4.
• Sixth form tutor and involved in worldwide university applications, most notably Oxbridge applications.
• Outstanding lesson observation reports received from KHDA (UAE Education authority with OFSTED inspectors) and peers.
• KS3 curriculum reviewed and updated to include project-based learning and cross-curricular activities.
• Extended essay and CAS supervisor.
• Learning logs developed and used to identify learning gaps.
August 2006 – June 2010 Jumeirah College Dubai, UAE
Head of Physics
• Managing four members of staff and leading them positively and effectively.
• Teaching AS and A2 Physics, as well as extension and single science at GCSE.
• Monitoring student progress and analysing learning gaps at KS3, KS4 and KS5.
• Implementation of GCE 2008 in Physics, Edexcel 360 and AQA Science for the GCSE course.
• Supervising the work of the Science technicians and ensuring the Physics inventory is updated regularly.
• Organisation of coursework entries and external and internal exams.
• Ensuring that satisfactory systems are in place for the assessment and recording of student progress and attainment.
January 2006 – June 2006 St. Andrews High School Glasgow, Scotland
Teacher of Physics and Science
• Reviewed course material for topics being taught for the first time and developed marking schemes for homework questions and summary sheets.
• Worked with a wide range of classes in different subject areas.
• Regularly use of Information Communication Technology for teaching and learning.
March 2005 – December 2005 St. Ninian’s High School Glasgow, Scotland
Teacher of Physics and Science
• Teaching the Higher and Advanced Higher Physics, Intermediate 1 and 2 Physics, 1st and 2nd year Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
• Involved in Student Tutor groups supporting pupils on a one-to-one basis with any difficulties they face within school or out of school.
• PGCE Mentor for student teachers.
• Reviewed 3-18 Curriculum for Excellence and regularly attending courses for continuing professional development.
I am an experienced Physics teacher who strives on the success of her students. I am willing to turn every stone to make sure that my students understand the concepts being taught. This is done in a fun and interactive way which will have an impact on their longer-term understanding.
I am willing to listen and explain questions in different ways and will change my teaching style to suit the needs of my students. I am always well prepared and will create as many resources as required. I tend not to lecture and would much rather discuss the Physics; explaining the history, the real-life connections using diagrams and images. I work through questions with the students and then allow them to solve the problems while guiding them if required.
Some testimonials from my students,
“Mrs. Naizam is an excellent and passionate teacher, she really cares about seeing her students succeed, which motivated me to study even more. Her classes were always engaging as she was able to make any topic interesting. She’s very patient as she was willing to explain difficult concepts several different ways until I understood it.”
“Mrs. Naizam is one of the greatest teachers you could ask for. Not only does she always find a way to make new and complex topics surprisingly tangible, she takes the time to make sure everyone understands, whilst providing opportunities to challenge yourself. She's incredibly caring, motivated, and talented, which always made it a delight to attend her classes.”
“I really want to thank you because I wouldn’t be where I am right now without you. Even if you were my teacher for a single year, you managed to have a great impact on me and I’ll always be grateful for that. After all it was during year 12 that physics went from being my favourite subject in school to my first ever true passion in life.”
Diego G. D. V.
“Miss Naizam is an extremely devoted and passionate teacher - her support throughout high school physics led me to studying engineering today. Miss Naizam's enthusiasm for physics rubbed off on us in class and encouraged us to be more keen to learn. We improved quickly thanks to the great feedback and additional resources she provides. Even when I have questions outside class hours, she is always responsive and willing to help. Beyond being a great teacher, Miss Naizam is very friendly and truly cares for us students - we have all had a great relationship with her.”
“Mrs Naizam was one of the teachers who have made a lasting impact on me and my career choice. If not for her, I think I would've abandoned physics entirely. She manages to engage quiet classes and make them interactive; lends a listening ear to physics and non-physics type problems and she is incredibly patient. Mrs Naizam is the best physics teacher I had and I'm glad I was in her class.”
|Languages||English (British), Urdu|
|Availability||Weekends, Weekdays (evenings)|
|References Available||On File|
|University of Strathclyde||1998||Bachelors||Bsc (Hons) Laser Physics and Optoelectronics|
|University of Starthclyde||2001||PGCE||Physics and Science Teaching|