I've just arrived in London from Australia looking for a different way of life. I am 27 years old and have a Bachelors degree in Building and Construction Management (2nd class honours) from the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS).
I have been teaching mathematics privately in Australia to Primary and Secondary students for the past 3 years (Monday to Thursday) from the ages of 7 - 16 having up to 12 students a week.
My approach to tutoring includes:
- Assessing the levels of the student’s mathematical ability in order to adapt a way of teaching that was most suitable for each individual pupil and developing a good relationship with them.
- Encountering any problems the student had with class work, homework and examinations then revisiting those problems in order to develop an entire understanding of the problem and the topic.
- Minimising the use of calculators in order to develop the students mental mathematical ability and to develop a sharper recognition of number relationships when problem solving.
- Instilling a confidence in the student that no problem is too hard for them to accomplish if good application and correct methodology is executed.
- Setting students timed tests within the lesson.
- Setting students additional tests and homework to have completed for the next lesson
- Introducing students to problems of a higher level once it was felt that the student completely understood a particular topic in order to raise their confidence.
- An allowance for fun mathematical games, (either improvised or found through the internet) which still had relevance to what the student was learning in cases of tiredness, illness or information overload.
Tags: Tower Hamlets Maths tutor, Tower Hamlets Primary Maths tutor, Tower Hamlets Secondary Maths tutor, Tower Hamlets GCSE Maths tutor, Tower Hamlets A-Level Maths tutor