Information About Maxwell - Hackney teacher
This is how 2 referees rated Maxwell:
After completing a degree in music at Sussex University, Max has been playing and composing with an assortment of bands and projects across the UK, and was formally an “Emerging Artist In Residence” at the Festival Hall on London’s South Bank.
**Web Address Removed**
Max studied drum kit with Guildhall teacher Trevor Tompkins, and has gone on to collaborate with acclaimed producers Nitin Sawhney, Niraj Chag, pianist Mark Lockett, bassist Ruth Goller and tabla player Praveen Row. His musical situations range from jazz and improvised music to funk, world, electronic and rock. He has worked as musical director, composer and performer in theatre and dance companies including collaborations with theatre director Kazuko Hoki.
Group projects to date include Soccer96, Niraj Chag, Hot Head Show, Super Best Friends Club, Nila Raja, Fusion Dreams and jazz residencies in south London and Brighton. Recent performances have seen Max playing in the USA, across Europe and in the UK at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, the LSO, Brixton Academy, Birmingham Conservatoire the Royal Festival Hall, BBC Maida vale, Hackney Empire and on BBC Radio.
A capable reader of music, Max also studied musical composition with Professor Martin Butler, and has had music commissioned by the Royal Festival Hall, the English Theatre of Bruges and Brighton's contemporary music ensemble “Rout”. Other work includes working for ‘Wonderful Beast’ theatre, the ‘Brighton dance collage’, and working as musical director for ‘Haringey Shed’ youth theatre.
* Private drum lessons – Max has helped developed the musical abilities of many drum students, ranging from young to adult ages, as well as those with learning difficulties. Regular assessment of pupil’s process through constructive feedback as well as a clear goal orientated approach has proved both productive and enjoyable.
Pupils have been taught a wide range of genres, but also have been able to focus on their particular tastes. Max has been able to draw on his wide range of professional musical experiences to allow a flexible direction in the lessons. Reading music is taught to a high standard as well as using aural methods.
*Shed Band Haringey Shed – The ‘Shed Band’ has seen Max working with larger groups of children as either team member and team leader. Group based workshops see Max teaching a variety of instruments: Piano, Guitar, Drum kit, Bass Voice and Percussion, All of which are taught in conjunction with composition and other band skills. The ‘Shed Band’ work as a team to create original music for live performance.
* Teaching English in China – Working as an English teacher abroad, Max was set the new challenge of overcoming the language barrier to create a productive learning relationship with his class of 33 primary school children.
* Classroom assistant – Working at both primary and secondary levels, Max has worked in many schools throughout London.
* Forest School Camps – Helping children learn how to live in the great outdoors. Supervising a group of over 60 children of all ages, Max has taught key survival skills such as fire lighting, map reading, wood chopping and cooking. Emphasis is always on making the learning process enjoyable and inclusive of all abilities.
Effective Learning comes from both the teacher and the pupil, and for this reason Max remains sensitive to the strengths and weaknesses. With this awareness of a pupils ability Max is able to construct approaches to learning that are most effective. Flexibility through a diverse range of teaching methodology equip Max with the necessary educational tools to bring out the full potential of the student.
Max always works hard to ensure success. Whether achieving high exam results, or simply a high standard of performance, the pupil will be aided by receiving clear advice on practice and musical attitude. By working closely with the pupil, Max remains committed to focusing the pupils own enthusiasm into the fruition of positive results.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Sussex uni (2006) - BA Music 2.1 (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)