Information About James - Birmingham teacher
This is how 3 referees rated James:
James offers a FREE first / introductory lesson!
James is a professionally trained classical pianist based in Birmingham in the West Midlands. Having studied music continuously at a high level since his early teens, he recently decided to finish his professional training at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and graduated in 2020 with distinction in a Masters degree in Instrumental Performance. He has learned from many excellent teachers over the years, most recently from acclaimed British pianist Mark Bebbington.
James has a diverse interest in music, although mainly centred around the classical literature. His repertoire includes music from Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms, Rachmaninov, Ravel, and many other composers from across the span of Baroque to 20th century music. He also is a keen composer, writing piano pieces that have won awards at the Oxford Music Festival, and described as "carefully-crafted miniatures".
- James has been teaching privately since 2017, offering coaching for absolute beginners at a very young age (primary), up to more advanced players preparing for the higher grades. He is also experienced in tutoring adults, whether they are coming to the piano for the first time, or long-time amateur pianists who are looking to develop their piano playing further
- Before starting his Mmus in performance James was a member of the piano faculty at Dorridge Music School, where he taught students of a wide range of ability and helped them prepare for their music examinations
- In addition to his performing skills, James has a very strong understanding of the technical aspects of music, and is able to offer support in learning music theory at all levels
- The main thing is that you enjoy your piano lessons! So I will aim to accommodate my teaching to suit whatever your goals are with piano playing and music generally. If you would like to study classically and take grades then I suggest following the ABRSM syllabus, although if the student has already studied with another exam board then it is possible to continue with them.
- I am set up to teach online during the current lockdown, using whichever platform suits you (Skype, Zoom, FaceTime etc.).
- If you are preparing for a grade, then I would encourage you to record your playing and share it to me so that I can hear it in the best quality possible and give you appropriate feedback. This comes at no extra cost so I I definitely recommend this!
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (2020) - Masters in Instrumental Performance, Piano (Distinction) (Masters) (✔ On File)
- ABRSM (2014) - DipABRSM in Piano Performance (Other) (✔ On File)