Information About Derek - Bristol teacher
This is how 2 referees rated Derek:
I am a professional film composer working on feature dramas, thrillers and horror films. I studied music production at the Academy of Contemporary Music, passing with distinction, and songwriting with London Song Company. I also studied counselling at Guildford College, volunteered for five years as a listener and deputy director for Samaritans, and read scripts for Hollywood studio Eclectic Pictures.
My second feature film “Olive Green” beat the HBO Game of Thrones web series at New York Festivals. The third feature I have written for, Sorority, is out in 2020 and stars BAFTA-winner Sophie Kennedy Clarke and double BAFTA-winner Kate Dickie.
I have worked with community groups teaching music production to young people, and coach private clients in creative and technical development both in music and general creative development.
I offer mentoring for young people and adults fascinated by writing film music in all aspects of film music creation and career development from an experienced professional.
Learn to write, improve and develop fully produced scores for film including:
- Spotting, planning and sketching.
- Generating initial ideas, motifs, chord sequences and other fragments.
- Developing ideas into a fully structured score that tells the story.
- Deepen your musical theory understanding.
- Learn to produce quality work efficiently with a digital audio workstation.
- Work with synthesizers and sound design.
- Live recording and mixing.
- Work with sample libraries and orchestration.
Develop your professional practice:
- Plan and manage your projects.
- Maintain good physical and mental health while working.
- Deepen awareness, empathy and sensitivity toward story (and life!)
- Develop confidence to network and build relationships.
Support and feedback provided by a professional film score composer, experienced working with BAFTA-winning talent on feature films, and a uniquely sensitive perspective developed through studies in psychology.
I work in a holistic and responsive manner with each student, sharing knowledge, insight, and collaboratively setting goals and tasks in response to the student's individual curiosity and aspirations.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- London Song Company (2011) - Diploma in Songwriting (Professional) (✘ Not On File)
- Guildford College (2007) - NCFE Counselling Skills and Theory (College) (✘ Not On File)
- Academy of Contemporary Music (2005) - H/Dip Music Production (Bachelors) (✘ Not On File)