Information About Dan - Birmingham teacher - (1 review)
This is how 2 referees rated Dan:
Dan offers a discount of 25% on their first / introductory lesson!
Hello! I am a freelance composer and performer based in Birmingham and a recent graduate of the BMus Composition course with First-Class Honours from the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.
I am primarily a composer working with electronic and visual mediums alongside performing bass guitar in bands. My works continue to take place around Birmingham’s music and art scene.
I have been a regular one-to-one tutor and workshop leader in Royal Birmingham Conservatoire's Young Composer's Project, involving the working with young people to compose music to film, orchestrate for live ensembles, work with dancers, compose electronic music and give presentations on composition. The project emphasises a strong link between teacher and student, benefiting both and providing music education for the next generation of composers.
As well as tutoring one-to-one outside of formal education, I have worked in schools, assisting with A-Level composition and further preparation for Conservatoire and university applications.
“Getting someone in who is a few years ahead of our current students has so far proven extremely useful and motivational to our students. Dan has also enjoyed the experience and is impressed with the students’ work and ability. We are grateful to him for giving up his time.”
– Chris Phelps, Music Teacher at Solihull Sixth Form College
First and foremost, I aim to nurture and build on what you are passionate about!
I emphasis the enjoyment and playfulness of creating music and can offer an exciting and varied program.
You will be able to learn in-depth knowledge of your chosen aspect of composition with real-world application. Lessons will be tailored to how you would like to learn and you will ideally work between lessons so that the tuition becomes most beneficial.
For a full list, please see below:
– detailed advice on orchestration, instrumentation and working with ensembles
– lessons on using Sibelius notation software and Cubase digital audio workstation
– guidance on general and specific areas of composition e.g. aesthetics, material and structure, working with video, composing for solo instrumentalists
– building a composition portfolio for Conservatoire submission
– an adaptability to each student’s needs and interests
– an emphasis on the fun of creating and what it means to be a composer in contemporary society
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (evenings)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (2018) - First-Class Composition (Bachelors) (✔ On File)