Information About Annabel - Clapham teacher
This is how 3 referees rated Annabel:
Welcome to Songbird Academy. In 2018, I set up a teaching space where students can learn in both a free but effective style. After studying singing and piano for 14 years, I believe technique is the foundation to knowledge and versatility. I have been trained by tutors at the Royal Academy of Music in a range of styles from Classical, Jazz, Soul, Opera and Pop. I am a diligent, engaging and enthusiastic teacher, seeking to give you inspiration, confidence as well as understanding. Whether you are learning grades or not, I am keen to help you reach your goal. At present I am a full time musician regularly performing across the U.K and Europe in addition to writing music for film.
To date have carried out over 300 lessons to 4-70-year-olds. I currently teach Singing in many different styles predominantly Classical alongside Musical Theatre, Jazz, Soul and Pop. I have a very effective lesson structure starting with rhythm analysis, vowel pronunciation, breathing technique through to performance techniques. Recently, my Grade 3 singing student passed with distinction (LCM) and Grade 6 with merit (ABRSM). A highlight has been teaching a 27-year-old disabled man.
I teach Piano in the following styles: Contemporary, Jazz, Pop and Classical (grades 1-5), through a combination of sight reading, playing by ear and improvisation. I spent a year being trained by a master of the piano, Graham Fitch, who gave me a thorough understanding of practice techniques. During my lessons, I teach on muscle memory and voicing different parts of the music.
I teach beginner Guitar (grades 1-2) - basic chords and strumming patterns.
I was very fortunate to begin my singing journey with an incredible Trinity College-trained teacher. My introduction to singing was of the highest standard so I am able to grow and build your voice in the best way.
Singing Teaching lessons would be carried out in the following format:
1 Basics: • Body stretches & vocal warm ups using the Alexander technique and different vowel sounds • Ensuring correct posture and breathing with the pelvic floor muscles engaged
2 Word Study: • Pronunciation & translation • Historical and emotional context of the piece
3 Approach: • Musical structure & pitch accuracy • Deciphering the tempo and tone • Control in delivery
4 Phrase study: • Musical shaping and detailing • Focused learning of the melody over my piano accompaniment • Creating flexibility and ease in challenging areas
5 Delivery: • Pleasing vocal tone • Breathing • Harnessing the right mood with the use of visual imagery
6 Nerves: • Giving you the confidence to flourish under pressure
7. Home practice guide: • Key aims • Easy method to follow for parents
• Avoiding bad habits or long term conditions
8. Vocal range: • Building both the low and high end • The difference
between head voice and chest voice
9. Performance techniques: • Harnessing nerves and pre-stage energy •
Vocal delivery • Audience engagement • Performing with other musicians • Singing in sync with your accompanist
Throughout the lessons I will be observing your progress. I will adjust the teaching method and level of development depending on the student’s skill set, ability and rate of improvement.
I was very fortunate to have been taught by one of the piano staff from the Royal Welsh College of Music. I therefore have a superb understanding of practice techniques and self-development.
Here is my piano teaching method:
1. Piece: • Learning the history and background
2. Basics: • Correct posture, stool level and hand position
3. Scales: • Outlining the chords of the scale • Different rhythmic
patterns and tempos.
4. Touch: • Varying the touches between one hand and the other •
Creating a strong left hand • Playing on different parts of the finger
• Wrist flexibility • Pedal Technique
5. Shape: • Structural pattern • Understanding the flow of the piece
6. Practice: • Maximizing time • Focused section study • Home practice
7. Style: • Sensitive and intuitive playing
8. Exams: • Nerve strategy • Visualization method and pre-exam
routine on the day
My knowledge of the curriculum and exam expectations
My aim is for you to reach your highest standard for the exam without putting you under too much pressure. This is where I will use my lesson observations and character insight to gage what is appropriate and realistic. Through completing over 10 ABRSM exams I have a clear understanding of how the examiners assess and mark the individual based on Pitch, Time, Tone, Shape and Performance. I will help you set a realistic exam timescale, spending proper time on each part and aspect of the exam so as not to neglect any element
I have found the lessons I’ve received in my life hugely rewarding. They’ve given me confidence musically which has positively impacted my career and life in many ways. Now I love to impart what I have learnt to others. I am happy to accept individuals of any level. Please do not hesitate to contact me with your requirements and what you would like to achieve.
Kind regards, Annabel
Pianist / Singer / Guitarist / Composer
Below are a full list of my academic Qualifications:
1. ABRSM Singing Performance Diploma - 2012
2. Composition Diploma – Distinction - Brighton Institute of Modern Music 2010
3. ABRSM Grade 8 Singing – Distinction - Kent College Pembury 2008
4. ABRSM Grade 7 Piano – Merit - 2011
5. ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory - Bedgebury School 2006
6. Music Scholarship Berklee College of Music - 2010
7. ABRSM Grade 2 Classical Guitar – Distinction 2019
8. Music Scholarship - Kent College Pembury 2006
9. A-Levels Music B, English Lit B, History C - Bedgebury School 2006
10. GCSE: Music A, History A, Drama B, English BB, Maths C, Double Science Award BB Bedgebury School 2006
11. DBS Enhanced Certificate - 2019
12. Paediatric First Aid Course First Aid for Life, London - 2015
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- ABRSM (2012) - Singing Performance Diploma (Professional) (✘ Not On File)
- ABRSM (2011) - Grade 7 Classical Piano (Professional) (✔ On File)
- Brighton Institute of Modern Music (2010) - Performance and Composition Diploma (College) (✘ Not On File)
- ABRSM (2008) - Grade 8 Classical Singing (School) (✘ Not On File)