Information About Phillippa - Bourne End teacher
This is how 2 referees rated Phillippa:
I am a highly ENTHUSIASTIC teacher with a passion for finding the best way to DEVELOP STUDENTS' SKILLS. I am dedicated to offering the BEST SERVICE possible for my students. That's why I have put a lot of work into developing my unique teaching approach, which I CONSTANTLY UPDATE AND IMPROVE.
- I have 13 YEARS EXPERIENCE as a private tutor.
- I have taught ALL AGES (elementary/primary school through to adults) and abilities (BEGINNER to ADVANCED).
- Subjects I've taught are: English proficiency tests (IELTS & TOEFL), Business English, Academic English Writing (Composition) & Presentation, English Conversation, English Grammar, University & Job Applications, SAT & ACT, GCSE & A Level (Music, Business Studies, Media Studies, Maths, etc.), K-12 Elementary School Curriculum (Language Arts, Science, Reading, etc.), Music Theory, Musical Analysis, Improvisation & Jazz, Saxophone, and Piano.
- I've taught abroad (in Taiwan) for over three years so I'm used to teaching non-native speakers.
- I've worked in all kinds of SETTINGS at both public and private elementary & high schools (Charm Montessori School & Beaconsfield High School), universities (Reading University's BYJO), adult language centers (WHYGO Language Center), private language/cram schools (Alexander Academy), and at businesses (iChef).
HEAD OF ENGLISH (2013-2015) - Charm Montessori Elementary & Junior High School
INSTRUCTOR (2013-2015) - WHYGO Language Center
TEACHER (2012-2013) - Alexander Academy
GUEST TEACHER (2007-present) - Beaconsfield High School
PRIVATE TUTOR (2005-present)
< ONLINE/SKYPE lessons >
< Lessons in CONVERSATION / TEST PREPARATION / HOMEWORK HELP / ESSAY WRITING & REVIEW / GRAMMAR etc. >
< PROOFREADING / EDITING services also available >
+ What do YOU WANT to learn? Whatever your goals are, I am ADAPTABLE and will change my teaching to fulfill your interests and learning needs. I am not one of those teachers who just follow a text book. Instead, I deliver PERSONALIZED lessons that are different for every student. As a former Montessori teacher, I support STUDENT-DIRECTED LEARNING (although I can make decisions for you if you prefer). Therefore, I will consult with you every lesson and regularly evaluate your level so that I only teach you what you need/want to learn.
+ Can you get all the answers right in your grammar book but still can't say a sentence without making mistakes? I have the solution. Through my extensive experience in curriculum writing and a lot of trial-and-error, I have created a wide range of INNOVATIVE RESOURCES and EFFECTIVE EXERCISES that actually work! And I have the RESULTS to prove it (for example, all my IELTS students have reached their target score, which means the majority of them have scored a band 7 or over). Doing tasks that are RELEVANT TO YOU and practicing in REALISTIC CONTEXTS, your English will improve in no time!
+ Learn English through FUN, UP-TO-DATE, and PRACTICAL activities using the Internet (e.g. **Contact Detail Removed**, social media websites, blogs etc.), pop **Web Address Removed** & film clips, games, creative writing, **Contact Detail Removed**ing, etc.
+ Struggling to communicate? I can help you to improve your SPEAKING skills by teaching you idioms, slang, and customs of communication i.e. the culture of the language (all the things a textbook can't teach you!). If you want, I can improve your PRONUNCIATION in BRITISH and/or AMERICAN ENGLISH. And most importantly, I will help you build the CONFIDENCE you need to express yourself freely in English.
+ Do you quickly forget what you've learnt in lessons? I aim to balance STRUCTURE with FLEXIBILITY by ensuring you REGULARLY REVIEW what we have covered in previous lessons. At the same time, my lessons are free-flowing so I can respond to what I notice you need to learn in the moment.
+ Are you often bored in English classes? This is probably because your teacher is lecturing rather than ENGAGING with you. My lessons make you ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE in the learning process. I believe in guiding students to knowledge rather than just giving it to them. So instead of correcting you, I will make you work out what the right answer is yourself, and ensure you understand why exactly it is correct.
+ Language teaching is not just about vocabulary and grammar. I also provide my students STUDY TIPS & TECHNIQUES that aid understanding and memorization. I am skilled at making teaching and learning material SIMPLE & ORGANIZED, and I can show you how to do this for yourself so you can master INDEPENDENT LEARNING.
+ Remembering is easier when you're RELAXED. Whilst I take my job very seriously, I also understand the importance of ENJOYING lessons. Therefore, I create a learning environment that is PATIENT, MOTIVATING, and INTERESTING. Lessons can be as CASUAL or SERIOUS as you prefer.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Oxford (2010) - Music (Bachelors) (✔ On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2006) - English A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2006) - Music A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (2005) - Maths A Level (School) (✘ Not On File)