Exam revision made easy with the help of a private tutor
Ask students what they think about revising for exams and many will tell you that revision is monotonous and boring. If a student hasn't received any help or guidance when approaching exam revision, they will have probably learnt their subject materials in unproductive ways.
A good private tutor will be able to offer a student a variety of revision methods, planning techniques and plenty of online and offline resources. A private tutor can also tell the student what NOT to revise. There is no point spending endless time and energy on elements not directly related to the exam.
All tutors and students know that practice makes perfect therefore the aim of revision should be focused on answering questions over and over again. A private tutor can also look at your work from a fresh, critical perspective, help you reconsider your arguments and give tips about polishing your work.
A good private tutor can also:
- Help the student prepare a revision timetable.
- Detect what the student has learnt successfully and fine-tune material.
- Help the student find a way of keeping missed important subject material fresh in their minds.
- Help the student ask and answer their own sharp questions by providing examples.
- Offer positive reinforcement to help motivate the student and reduce anxiety.
- Let students know what is expected in a good exam answer or presentation.
- Offer techniques to help students re-read their writing from different points of view.
- Provide mind mapping techniques for summarising material content.
The Greek writer and philosopher Nikos Kazantzakis once quoted "Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own."
There is still time to find a private tutor to help with exam revision. Just a few sessions could make all the difference!