Information About Cris - Wellington tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Cris:
Cris offers a FREE first / introductory lesson!
|NCEA Level 1||$50.00|
|NCEA Levels 2-3||$50.00|
I emigrated to New Zealand from Romania at age 11, was Dux of my high school (completed in 2009) and studied English at university until Honours level. I have taught English since my early twenties in Auckland, where I used to live. I am passionate about providing students with opportunities to grow in their confidence with language, whether through writing, speaking, reading or a combination of the three. I am currently devoting time to writing a manuscript/novel, hence why I am not teaching full-time, but would love to continue developing students' abilities in English since language is a key that can open up many, many doors.
I have taught at high school level (Years 9-13) for five years in Auckland, predominantly in NCEA. I have taught and had success with skill-building for the weakest English students to extending the strongest Excellence- and scholarship-level candidates. I also have a little A-Level Cambridge experience from tutoring one student separately for a year and a half.
I am happy to help with progress towards NCEA, but part of that may be that we practise some skills to get to the desired goal.
With five years of teaching experience under my belt (and three years tutoring before that), I am particularly focused on personalising my teaching according to what each student needs. I have a responsive approach, based on listening (this is how I taught in Auckland). I aim to create a safe climate where the student can make mistakes and learn from them.
My method: Firstly, I hear what the student's goals/story is. Secondly, I co-construct a plan of attack with the student. Thirdly, I develop lessons and resources for each student to use during our sessions, and evaluate the progress against the plan of attack as each lesson goes.
Some feedback from past students, written in reflections/letters:
- "I appreciate your patience and the time you have spent reading my English pieces as it must have been very annoying to stumble over many of my grammar mistakes… Your kind and caring words have inspired me to express myself in my own writing… You have made my experiences in your class fun, interesting, pleasing and adventurous." - Y13 student, 2017
- "I had never really liked writing or thought I was decent at writing before I had met you. Writing was something I did because it was compulsory. Because of you, in Year 10 I realised that writing was the best way I could express myself… I thank you for being a motivation for me, even if you didn't intend to. You are seriously the only teacher I've ever wanted to make an impact on/make remember me." - Y10 student, 2014, who became a Y13 student in 2017
- "You were able to help me get through some of the barriers that I was facing in English. You give lots of useful comments and always give your all so that your students are able to achieve the mark and goals that they want." - Y12 student, 2017
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: English, French
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Auckland (2016) - Post-graduate Diploma of Secondary-Teaching (English) (Professional) (✔ On File)
- University of Auckland (2013) - Bachelor of Arts (First-Class Honours) majoring in English (Bachelors) (✔ On File)