Information About Thomas - Dublin tutor - (1 review)
This is how 2 referees rated Thomas:
|Adult / Casual||€30.00|
** Only accepting students from September 2019 onwards **
I am an experienced mathematics tutor pursuing a B.Sc. Computer Science degree in University College Dublin. I have achieved A grades in all of my mathematics, statistics, and problem-solving modules to date. I am on track to receive a first class honours degree with a GPA of 3.88.
My notable achievements and qualifications:
* Irish European Union Science Olympiad (IrEUSO) Finalist
* Recipient of the UCD Entrance Scholarship for my exceptional Leaving Certificate results
* Recipient of the NUIG Business Studies Achievement Award
* UCD Maths Sparks workshop designer and demonstrator
* Completed UCD tutor training programme
* UCD Peer Mentor
* Selected as UCD Computer Science Class Representative
* Elected Auditor of the UCD Computer Science Society 2019/2020
* Elected Treasurer of the UCD Computer Science Society 2018/2019
* Member of the PricewaterhouseCoopers Employability Academy
I have a keen interest in teaching. I enjoy helping others to learn and understand mathematics which is why I volunteered for the UCD Maths Sparks programme. This programme is aimed towards Senior Cycle DEIS students with the objective of promoting the future study of STEM in 3rd Level and to change their attitude towards mathematics through interactive and engaging activities, and talks from mathematics graduates and professors.
I tutor in the following subjects:
* Junior Certificate Mathematics
* Leaving Certificate Mathematics
* C/C++ Programming
* Web design
* ICT Skills
I have three years of one-to-one maths tutoring experience. I have professionally tutored in Junior Cert mathematics, Leaving Cert mathematics, Applied Maths, and ICT. All of my past students to date have achieved their academic goals.
I have given informal lessons on C Programming, Matrix Algebra and Computer Architecture to classmates. I am responsible for all staff induction and IT training at MACE Headford.
Last May, with the guidance of the UCD Maths & Statistics Dept, I designed a mathematics workshop on “The Application of Invariants and Abstraction in Problem Solving” as part of the Maths Sparks programme. This September, I will be demonstrating my programme to a class of 50+ fourth and fifth year secondary school students. The skills I will be teaching in this class are imperative to the study of Mathematics. I will also be assisting my colleagues to carry out their workshops which are on the topics of game theory, vectors, the mathematics of origami and the Josephus problem.
Approach to Grinds:
I like to address topics that the student is having immediate difficulty with first. I then prioritize the topics with the greatest mark yield. Finally, we focus on completing past exam questions and perfecting exam technique.
I approach each topic in the following manner:
* I give an overview of the topic wherein I highlight the learning objectives, explain the topics applications, and relevant formulas
* I like to focus on the fundamentals to help the student develop an intrinsic understanding of the material
* I present a series of examples so that I can explain how to approach the different types of questions that can occur and highlight the common pitfalls mentioned in the Chief Examiner reports
* Homework will be assigned as a means of practice and so that I can gauge the student’s progress in that topic
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- An Garda Síochána (2018) - Garda-Vetting Disclosure (Professional) (✔ On File)
- University College Dublin (2017) - UCD Entrance Scholarship (School) (✔ On File)
- CASTel, DCU (2015) - Irish EU Science Olympiad (Other) (✔ On File)
- NUI Galway (2015) - NUIG Business Studies Achievement Award (School) (✔ On File)
|Students Providing Feedback:||1|
|Students Providing Positive Feedback:|