Information About Jon - Kingston tutor
This is how 2 referees rated Jon:
Jon offers a FREE first / introductory lesson!
I love being immersed in science and math, and sharing my enthusiasm with other people.
I have worked as a research scientist using GPS so that people can get the time accurately from atomic clocks, and went on to a career in physics education which has lasted more than 16 years so far, moving to Canada from the UK in the summer of 2017.
* Taught high school physics in the UK for ten years, including tutoring in math and physics, and teaching some biology and chemistry
* Currently volunteer as a tutor for an educational charity in Kingston
* Employed by the Institute of Physics in the UK for seven years, to run engaging physics shows and hands-on activities for grades 7-13 in schools across London, UK and
* Led professional development for hundreds of British teachers of physics, including some tutoring to support these adult learners
* Wrote physics activities for eight student workbooks for grades 7 & 8 for an internationally respected academic publisher
* While most of my experience has been with high school students (grades 9-13) and adults, I also ran a successful hands-on physics event each year at my daughter's elementary school, from grade 1 through to 6
* Reviewed dozens of papers for an academic journal in physics education
* I hold current professional certification permitting me to teach any subject to any age group in England, UK (QTS)
* I hold current professional certification as a Chartered Physicist in the UK (CPhys)
* I am a member of the Ontario Association of Physics Teachers (OAPT)
My strength lies in finding a way to explain things so that the learner can understand, always trying to focus my teaching on what the student finds interesting. I am an advocate of what is called "evidence-based teaching", for instance using a series of questions to initially assess what the student understands, and then probing to confirm which parts of the new content they have now understood.
This is all supported by 16 years' experience working in math and physics, so that I have a broad and deep understanding of the topics and particularly how they related to each other and why they matter in the real world, all backed up by my own love of the subjects.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- University of Roehampton, UK (2007) - Postgraduate Certificate in Management in post-compulsory education and training (Other) (✔ On File)
- University of Greenwich, UK (2002) - Postgraduate Certificate of Education in Post-compulsory education and training (PGCE) (✔ On File)
- University of Birmingham, UK (1995) - MSc in Applied Radiation Physics (Masters) (✔ On File)
- University of Oxford, UK (1994) - BA in Physics (Bachelors) (✔ On File)