This is how 2 referees rated Asma:
Hello, it's nice to meet you! My name is Asma and I am a Bayview Secondary School International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme alumna starting my first year at McGill University's Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences program this fall. An honour roll student for 4 consecutive years and a participant in a variety of extracurricular activities, sports teams, volunteer experiences, and training/tutoring work, I embrace the role of a mentor and look forward to sharing my knowledge and insight into the subjects I am passionate about.
Volunteering at the local library and veterinary clinic, obtaining my 2nd Dan Taekwondo Black Belt, working towards my Piano Performer's ARCT Diploma, attending and excelling at international DECA business competitions, running national non-profit PuMP, and participating in multiple instrumental ensembles at school, including directing the Senior Jazz Band, are only a few of the activities I have dedicated myself to over my high school years, demonstrating my leadership, excellent work ethic, and time management skills given the rigor of the concurrent IB Programme I had been working towards. Some of my hobbies include gardening, composing music, reading, and learning new languages, my current endeavor being Arabic.
Fluent in English, French, and Estonian, and eager to adapt my tutoring materials and methods for each individual student, I seek to accommodate my tutees by all means possible, and have the patience and friendliness to create a welcoming, approachable, and enriching environment for learning and growth. I look forward to working with you!
• Piano teacher (2015-present): I teach piano to children ages 4-10, developing lesson plans, engaging students in discussions about musical style and elements, and instilling a passion for music
• French tutor (2019-present): I create original lesson plans and materials to improve French oral, reading, and writing skills of elementary school tutees, and have tutored this subject online in light of the pandemic
• Trumpet tutor (2018-2020): I hosted both one-on-one and small group tutoring sessions with beginner trumpet players during my lunch period in order to help them learn pieces required for class, improve their technique, and learn basic music theory
• English tutor (Summers of 2016, 2017, and 2018): I was a peer mentor for Richmond Hill Public Library's Summer English Speaking Club for Newcomer Youth, where I facilitated the transition of newcomer youth ages 12-18 by assisting with language proficiency, communication activities, and confidence in both oral and written English
• DECA Business Club Trainer (2017-2020): Created and implemented training plans consisting of lessons, games, and practice case studies in order to better prepare junior members for competition, including meeting with tutees outside of regularly scheduled training
I believe it is important for a tutor to be passionate, approachable, and supportive. Conveying my own excitement and interest in the topics I teach allows this positive attitude to be adopted by my tutees, who will then be able to develop personal motivation and have an enjoyable learning experience. Furthermore, I believe that stoking natural curiosity is a great way to foster student engagement and interest in a topic outside of the conventional curriculum. Approachability is also important so that any questions or points of confusion can be addressed without the tutee feeling too shy to ask, which is why I exemplify friendliness and patience at each and every session. Finally, support is essential in encouraging the student to persevere, including praise for accomplishments and progress made.
I also believe in flexibility - including being available to provide guidance outside of lesson time - and setting both long and short term goals. Every student has a different pace and set of most effective learning styles, which I am able to recognize and am more than happy to accommodate and adjust to. Developing a plan in conjunction with my tutees is a great way to ensure the most effective use of our time together, and I am always open to feedback or suggestions on how I can further enhance my tutees' individual learning.
At this time, due to the pandemic, any tutoring sessions will be held online.
Tutor Resources: (free to download)
Please login or register to download tutor resources.
Additional Languages: Estonian, French
Availability: Weekends / Weekdays (all times)
References Available: Yes (✔ On File)
- Bayview Secondary School (2020) - Completion of Grade 12 English with an average of 97% (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Bayview Secondary School (2020) - Completion of Grade 12 French with an average of 98% (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Bayview Secondary School (2019) - Completion of Grade 12 Calculus and Advanced Functions with an average of 96% (School) (✘ Not On File)
- Bayview Secondary School (2019) - Completion of SL Biology with an average of 98%, or IB level 7 (School) (✘ Not On File)